I Boiled My Krona to Death!! : (

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RocketMan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Well, still learning about razors! I had a couple of metal Gillettes I wanted to clean. I put them in boiling water for 10 minutes like I have read. I also threw in a perfectly mint Krona that needed cleaning. BAD idea. Plastic no likey!

The twist knob at the bottom split in two places and fell off and the handle finish is now a flat crappy black. From vint-age to garb-age all in a quick 10 minutes.

So sad - so I guess ya can't boil em all!

That Schick did have crap inside - as most 'found' TTOs. How the heck do you clean a Krona out then??

signed: sad in front of the stove

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sorry to hear about that.... but rest assured that you are not the first to do that.

Fuzzy

3. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Ultrasonic cleaners work pretty well.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yikes, you are the second rocketman I know who has done that. Sorry for your loss!

5. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Thanx for the sympathy Fuzzy - It makes me feel better.

I smacked my Chrysler really good last week and I didn't feel as bad then as I did today screwing up my razor (don't tell my psychiatrist! hehe)

6. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Maybe we just have our heads in the clouds!!! Ha! Nahh, more likely it is a stellar optimism that everything always works out! Rocket on .....

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Yes, unfortunately it seems common with Rocketmen.

[​IMG]

Yah, that's it. :cool:

8. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Yowzers!! Now THAT is a boiled razor! Yikes!!!!

The tip on yours seems to be metal. Mine was the all black version and the tip melted right nicely too!

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This thread is depressing me. Next time, use Scrubbing Bubbles to get the gunk out.

10. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

They're razors not potatoes :happy102
    No need to cook them, though I'd say that ones done.:eek:

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Yeah, I ruined a bakelite handled brush last week doing that. I don't know what the heck I was thinking...."Yeah, just toss it in with the razors!"

Dumb A$$! (me...that's not directed at you...just clarifying)

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

The great thing about 'cooking' is that it is a great sterilization method. I picked up a super slim twist today that was just disgusting - I have no idea how a person could shave with such a gross thing. But at least I can see that dirt and scum - it is on the outside.

It is the crap inside of the TTOs that I think can benefit from a good boil. Scrubbing Bubbles doesn't really get in there that good either. A good old fashioned boiling (just like a potato) and the odd razor has actually made razor soup! I would prefer that the crud comes out, rather than leech out as I use the razor. Maybe I will just stay away from plastic razors - wouldn't be that bad! (didn't actually realize the Krona was plastic).

My only other thought is letting them soak in Isopropyl for a couple of days.

It is probably the Howard Hughes in me!! I do think that fastidious hygiene on these used products is very important though.

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm with ya, man. I picked up a couple last week that I almost put rubber gloves on to handle....I did choke my OCD revulsion down though and use my bare hands...but they did get a good boil....

Actually, now that I think about it, it was the OxyClean soak, not the boiling that did it to the bakelite brush I mentioned above....I tossed it in the OxyClean and the handle emulsified, with the top layer coming off...still ruined, either way...

14. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

+1 to both above

if you guys are doing this to clean them as you can see it is not working, scrubbing bubbles and some patience is all you need, if you are doing it as a health precaution you are way over reacting not necessary at all but if you must then try barbicide

15. TorzJohnson

TorzJohnson Member

This reminds me of the time that I bathed my pet lobster in boiling water. :(

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

At least he was some use after the cooking

Fuzzy

17. UncleStu

UncleStu Member

Note to self: Learn from RocketMan, do*Not* boil plastic razors! :eek:

My sympathies, RM, that's too bad. :(

18. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

The water doesn't need to be boiling to soften the crud.
    Take the water up to 200 degrees max, turn off the heat and let them soak till the waters cool.
    Also add some baking soda to the water.

19. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

What he said. With all of the great products that Bob makes you can bet he knows exactly what he's talking about!

20. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

My very first find was schick dial for $2 and I boiled it too.. now it has a very distinct look and feel to it! ;)