My meager collection so far...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by omegapd, Feb 2, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

[​IMG]

With the help of fatboy, I was able to ID my little collection today (Thanks a bunch!). The two adjustables are 1964 slim adjustables and the other- which was my grandfathers- is a (z marked) flair tip super speed!

With shaving, I actually prefer the super speed. I can't seem to figure out where I need to set the adjustables for the right feel/shave. :rolleyes:

Not sure I'll get into collecting D/E razors but I sure enjoy the ones I have now and wanted to share...

Thanks for any comments,

EW

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nice,,. I also have my grand fathers SS. Nice isn't,,, now get you some razors that do not have 2 sides to the blade :D

Fuzzy

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

meager?
    there's no such thing as meager!
    as long as your shaving needs are met, any collection is a great one!
    nice scores!
    as for the adjustables, I'd say start with 2 and progressively work your way up each shave until you find the sweet spot. some folks advocate changing the setting during the shave, but don't try that yet until you find the settings that work for you.
    For example, I have a tendency to start a shave around 5-6 for a with the grain pass, then to maybe a 4 for across the grain, then 2-3 for against, to get a milder, less aggressive pass as I go, with the first pass doing most of the stubble reduction.
    another theory says to go opposite, I haven't tried this yet.
    but most of the time, as is the case with most of the folks here, just "set it and forget it" mentality
    thanks for sharing!

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I'm willing to bet there are many that have less then 5 DE's in their collection. Some may have only 1.

You have a fine representation of razors right there. If these are all you ever purchase, you'll be set for life.

5. Musky

Musky New Member

This is meager by no means, I had only one razor for over two years. Then I purchased three so I still only have four. Personally I have a Fatboy and it is my goto razor, it did take some getting used to with the adjustments. I started on 3 and went from there, my preferred setting is 5.

6. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Pending arrival of 2 more razors, My collection is/will be thus:
    '40s SS (notched, no date code)
    '50 SS
    '57 Red Tip (inbound)
    '60 Fatboy (inbound)
    '67 Slim

That pretty much covers the general selection of Gillette TTOs, not counting the higher-end variants.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Another shaver with his Great Grandfather's Superspeed ('57). That superspeed with an Astra Superior or 7 O'Clock Sharpedge (yellow) given the best shaves I've experienced.
    I also have "just" 3 razors and no more on the way or plans for another soon. Mine are the Superspeed mentions, a Knack, and a Fatboy. I eventually want to try a Tech (I like the look of the ball-end), A Merkur classic or HD, and a Parker 91R but I'm in no hurry.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

9. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You'll need a Rocket. ;)

10. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Thanks for all the replies. :cool:

11. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Nice collection, mine is pretty modest also:
    2 Ball end techs (one gold one not)
    1 Fatboy
    1 Superspeed
    There are some other razors I would like to add to the collection but I am in no hurry as has already been said by others. I get great shaves from what I have so I am happy with it.

12. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Get an open comb and you have the perfect collection to shave with.
    :happy096
    I have the same razors and an open comb. I use the adj. 99% of the time though.

13. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Nice collection! Mine is also modest:

1954 Super Speed (Z1, so it's still the 40's style) - my late grandfather's
    1979 Black Handled Super Speed
    Merkur HD
    Merur polished chrome Futur - my goto razor

I don't really see the need to add to this collection. You don't need a ton of gear to get good shaves, some just enjoy collecting. I have more A/S products than I really need, but I do enjoy the variety.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Excuse me for not being too understanding, but meager is.........??

15. Poulin

Poulin New Member

maigre

16. crackstar

merci, mon frere, tu vois comment je suis faible en anglais? :ashamed001 :ashamed001 :ashamed001

17. Poulin

Poulin New Member

Not at all!

18. crackstar

I had a call from a gentleman before in New York, and after 2 minutes, I had to switch back to French. On the phone my English breaks fast, fast, fast--it's a torture for me to speak it.