Newbie question about Derbys

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

ok so whats the 1,2,3 and 4 numbers for on the blade? is that so if you pull it out you can remember which side it was already on?

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

You can use it for that although I don't know if it's beneficial to turn the blade over. This comes up every once in awhile and they seem to be used for the manufacturing process and/or quality control.

3. ssilcox

ssilcox Member

I read somewhere (cant find the thread) that they are just used in the manufacturing process - has nothing to do with what side to use or which way to orient the blade.

I am sure there was some mid level manager at Derby that thought it would be hilarious to add numbers to see how many wetshavers he could confuse. :)

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The numbers ar a reminder for the workers at the Derby factory to frequently count their fingers to make sure they haven't lost any. It only goes to 4 because most have already lost at least one finger. :whacky011 :laugh042

5. sas71

sas71 Member

good answer:happy102

6. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

I was looking at a gillette blade the other day and wonder exactly the same thing... Now, what are the two arrows for then? :D

7. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

That has to be the best explanation I have seen for these so far! :happy102:happy102

8. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

I knew it! :happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

9. Crankymoose

Crankymoose Member

the numbers are just for factory quality control there is no benefit at all by rotating or flipping the blade, some blades have arrows on them as years ago they used to come in a dispenser that would allow you to push the blade out in that direction and load it directly onto certain model Gillette razors without ever touching it, the dispenser have been long since discotinued in favor of the cheap plastic, cardboard or paper packaging now but the original print remains

10. lferg

lferg New Member