Whats the word on Carbon Steel blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

give me the low down on carbon steel blades compared to the SS

did i read that they tend to rust kinda fast?

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Unless coated they can rust fast. The Super Blue blades and Thin's I've had great luck with. Regular blue blades, forget it.

3. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

I know some guys were having some luck either dipping the blade into alcohol after their shave or storing the razor with the head submerged in alcohol. Both will displace water on the blade and slow rusting enough to get 3 or 4 days out of them.
    I have been meaning to try some but have not gotten around to it yet so none of this is personal experience.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I was speaking of NOS blades not the modern ones. The modern blades should be coated, I would imagine.

I give mine a good shake and blow the water off and let them dry on a towel. I do none of this for SS blades.

5. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Chris, are you speaking of the NOS Super Blue blades in the cardboard pack (I think from the 70s) or the much older Super Blues that came in a dispenser?

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

The ones I have are 1959 E-4's and were individually wrapped free samples. Not bad at all.

[​IMG]

7. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

The Blues I have are have a date code of B2. That has to be 1981 because the packaging has a barcode on the back. I haven't tried them yet but knowing that the '59s are still usable I'm going to give them a go.

8. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Has anybody tried out the modern Carbon blades, like the Treets? If so what is the general feeling on them?

9. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

The Treet Classic in Yellow, red and white, are no less than outstanding for me.

The Black Beauties/Blue Specials are very good, also.

You cannot beat the price, either.

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The treets are okay. Theyre not great, theyre not horrible. They are smooth but could be a bit sharper. But for the price, if I didnt have any money, I'd shave with them every day.

11. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Tried em...............dint make my top 3 so out they went.

Doc swears by em, tho

12. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

What's the word?

Everybody's heard...

[youtube]rU1A-ExSDzc[/youtube]

13. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

My father used Blue Blades. He used a new blade every day and he was a very frugal man.

14. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i love you.

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm gonna be singing that all night long now as I lay in bed trying to fall asleep. Thank you for that. And you couldn't find a better copy? That gave me vertigo...