Trouble Understanding

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dgcrell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. dgcrell

dgcrell New Member

How one razor can be different from another. I hear people mention how one particular razor feels different than another, etc.

How is this? In my mind, it seems they are all metal and have the same basic outlay to them.

I have a Merkur HD. How would it have any real difference than the Super Speeds?

Beginner question I'm sure. So thank to anyone who feels like explaining.

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

There are many variables that affect the way a razors feels.

Blade exposure, the amount of blade exposed between the safety bar and cap or silo doors. Razor weight, heavier razors require less pressure. Blade angle, when you tighten down the TTO or tighten up a 3pc. the blade flexes. Some older razors may even be damaged slightly and that will affect the aggressiveness.

From my memory the Merkur HD is a little more agressive and heavier than a Super Speed.

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Angle of the blade, determined by the shape(arch) of the head
    Profile of the Head of the razor
    Amount of the blade edge exposed
    Thickness of safety bar
    Distance between the blade and the safety bar
    Weight of razor
    Balance of the weight of the razor,
    grip size

All factor I would think makes a difference in how a razor feels

The HD is much heavier,thicker handled than the superspeed, and I think the head is more arched and taller on the HD than the SS as well.

4. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

And of course, to complicate things more, different blades respond differently to each razor. You might find that a particular blade sucks in razor A, and is wonderful in razor B, while another brand of blade gives the opposite result. And we all have unique experiences, so the results don't always correlate between members.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I hope you brought your fishing pole, because you opened a can of worms.

6. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

A big can!

7. riffin

riffin Active Member

VERY slight changes to any aspect of the geometry can have a huge effect in the feel. Even difficult to measure differences in the width of a blade can make a huge difference. Also there is a wide variety of differences in characteristics of skin and beard form person to person. So one person may LOVE a certain blade-razor combo, and someone else may not be able to go out in public after using it.

8. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I've seen posts in the same day where one person will say Derbys are the greatest ever, while another person will call Derbys the dullest ever.

9. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

...and you know how I love to fish! :happy102

10. Always have the rods handy !

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Some serve their purpose in a utilitarian way and some are just a beauty to behold.

12. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I think the only way to know is to try different kinds yourself

In my opinion the differences are subtle enough that everyone will have their own different opinion on what those differences are and how much of an impact those differences have

13. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

I have only tried 4 different razors myself, but I can tell you that every one of them handled differently. They all also respond differently to different brands of blades, what works well in one is not so good in another. It is all about finding the combinations that give you a close comfortable shave with each particular razor. The hard part about all of this is that you never really know if you have reached the pinnacle so there is the constant desire to try something new, thus the birth of our acquisition disorders (AD's).

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

These guys are all crazy. A razor is a razor, and a blade is a blade. Just grab something and shave. Geez Louise! :rolleyes:

I am kidding, of course! :D

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

how is one car different from another?

it seems they all move and have the same basic outlay to them.

;););)