Razor Maintenance

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kerflop, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

So my very first razor (a SS Blue Tip that I bought from Zook) and the one thing that worries me is how to take care of the darn thing. You know with the Schick that I use today, I could care less if that sucker got chipped, dirty or down right tore up... But I do not want that to happen to this razor...

So, how do you take care of your razor on a daily bases? Do you do some preventive maintenance like cleanings and oiling of the hindges? I really haven' the slightest.

Thanks a bunch...

2. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Member

Rinse it to get all of the soap off when you shave with it, loosen the doors and shake out the water when you are done. It is optional but I dry off my razors also. That pretty much sums it up except for occasional deeper cleaning with some scrubbing bubbles to get any acumulated soap scum out.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If you have hard water, you might find the shiny metal gets an icky film on it after a day or so. If that happens, you can also add a brief soak in a cup of rubbing alcohol after the shave. The razor will dry faster and will have fewer deposits.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Daily:
    Toothbrush and hot water to clean off soap scum on externals
    Shake dry and pat on towel

During blade change:
    Toothbrush with soft scrub with bleach to all areas of razor

When needed:
    MAAS polish to make it pretty and shiny again

5. sicklidz

sicklidz New Member

I just used the soft scrub with bleach in an old tooth brush trick and it worked great! Now I just have to find some MAAS. Is there a certain type of MAAS to use or just the general metal polish?

6. rick

not sure if there is more than 1 kind of MAAS............someone here should be able to chime in on that.

This

[​IMG]................is what I use

7. sicklidz

sicklidz New Member

When I went looking around on the bay I found a few flavors. One for silver/brass/chrome, one for all metals, one for motorcycles and a couple others. They were in different packages or consistencies too like paste or cream.

8. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Another member recommended this and it really works. Two small jelly type jars.
    One w/ diluted scrubbing bubbles and with rubbing alcohol. Finish shave and rinse razor w/ hot water. Then dip razor in scrubbing bubbles then rinse in hot water again. Shake excess water off and dip in alcohol. Put razor up to dry.

9. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

Do you remove the blade every day or leave it in?

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Leave it in. However, some of us take the blade out (when dry) and strop it before using it again. Don't do that until you are comfortable with handling the blade but not so comfortable as to be arrogant and take silly risks.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I don't know about the diluted scrubbing bubbles, but I keep a plastic container of barbicide or rubbing alcohol for that purpose. I don't like using the glass as I am storing the bottle on a shelf above my head when I am not using.

12. mmack66

mmack66 Member

People strop DE razor blades? :confused:

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

14. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

Okay, so what is the purpose of Stroping? Is that something you should do everyday? I understand I shouldn't do that right away but just curious...

Thanks

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

In theory, it helps align the microscope variations in the blade resulting in a smoother shave and a longer lasting blade. With the price of a razor blade being what it is, most DE shavers won't bother taking the risk of handling the blade more often just to extend its life over a few more passes.

It is something that I am just now comfortable enough with the blades to do. When I first saw that video, I thought he was crazy. However, I am now (months later) ready to try. I can't say if it actually helps, at least not yet...

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I'm not sure if bleach would be the best for the aluminum handle the blue tips have. Shouldn't bother nickel any. I'll admit I have never tried it though. I use Scrubbing Bubbles in this step myself.

17. rick

point taken..................never tried it on ALuminium !!

Tread lightly.