The 33c or the 34c (both merkur) ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by naknik, Feb 8, 2009.

1. naknik

naknik New Member

hi
    I recently bought the 25c model of merkur (with the open comb) . as a starter of wet shaving (and as a guy with gentle skin and not much of beard) I felt it is very agressive to my face .
    another thing , I noticed that the teeth of the comb are "in the way of the blade" and it leave some beard hair .

I read a little bit and I decided to buy closed saftey razor .
    there are 2 models I'm thinkg about :
    1) Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor
    2) Merkur 33C Classic Safety Razor

what's the different between those two , are the both closed the same ?

2. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

The two razors youre looking at are basically the same, but the 34 or HD is heavier. Both give close good shaves.

You cant go wrong with either one..

3. naknik

naknik New Member

the 34 is not with an open comb , right ?

?

4. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

The head on each razor is identical, the handles are different. The handle on the HD is thicker and thus the 34c is heavier.

5. brothers

brothers Active Member

Up until very recently I had never owned or used a Merkur. Then someone gave me a merkur head to use with a handle that I had, and they tell me it is a 23C. I have been doing some research, and have read where the open comb Merkur is one of the more aggressive heads, as you can attest to. It's ironic that the open comb head Gillette NEW razor is one of the more gentle and non-aggressive heads, even though it looks very similar to the Merkur open comb. I love shaving with the NEW, and also with the Merkur 23C. Good luck with your Merkurs.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Actually I have had the opposite experience with my open comb Merkurs. They seem extremely gentle to me. Burnwood and all, but I think they are amazing and forgiving razors.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Sorry.. Missed that..

Both the 33 and 34 are closed combs..

8. naknik

naknik New Member

thank you all ! :)

I just finished ordering the 34c .

scott wein likes this.
  9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I find the 34C to be a good feel and good heft. I hope it works out for you.

10. naknik

naknik New Member

About the merkur 25c...

I don't know if it's important for you guys, but I used it only 3 times and didn't have even one cut !
    that's surprised me , because I thought I'll be coverd with cuts .
    and I never tried wet shaving before with DE razor or strait , just simple...
    maybe it because I don't have beard all over my face , maybe it because I have gentle skin and gentle hair beard.... I don't know .

11. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Good Call!

The 34 or HD is a very good razor, It has from the first day always been one of my favs..

12. Ernesto

Ernesto New Member

I'm recently bought 33c and so disapointed, what happend with the handle, are you kidding me, thats not ergonomic is too small even i hasnt to large hands i figured out a basketbol player shaving with that.. Imposible so disaponted.

13. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I also own a 25c and found it to be a very mild razor now that I own a few more open combs I can say it is due to the merkur design not the oc itself