The "Upside Down" Lathering Trick!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by mantic, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Video showing this here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUNBY9zHUw
    I discovered this by accident..maybe some of you already knew this? When using a shave soap, invert the blowl or mug and load the brush "upside down" (actually the brush is rightside up). When I started to lather my face the mix built much more quickly and was creamier. I also tried it with a shave cream and a lathering bowl but it didn't work quite as well.

Give this a try and let me know what you think.

--Mark

BayouFlyFisher likes this.
  2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Great tip Mark, I am going to try that tomorrow.

3. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Yeah, me too, I'm having problem getting that whipped cream lather you get in your videos. :D

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Nice little video!

Although for me, I tend to not adopt techniques that reduce my face lathering times too severely. I find that spending 90 seconds to 2 minutes building lather on my face is the main reason my shaves are so much better than the old days. All that extra time for the lather and water to soften the beard hairs means consistently excellent shaves.

But nothing says I can't continue to move perfect lather around and work it in that much faster, right? :1respect

BayouFlyFisher likes this.
  5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Very nice Mark! I will give it a try tomorrow.

6. progrmr

progrmr New Member

interesting tip - have to give that a try!

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Going to try it tomorrow. I always tend to load the brush more than I need to anyway, but will be interested to see what this does.

Thanks!

8. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I'll give this a shot tomorrow, too. i don't ever get really good lather from my glycerin based soaps.

9. djwurm

djwurm New Member

huh thats cool. It makes sense though..

10. Batmang

Batmang New Member

It's definitely worth a try...thanks for the tip.

Nathan

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

+1

12. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I think I'll be trying this tonight

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I tried this discovery this morning. The brush did appear to build lather more effectively and quickly this way. Will have to continue to test.

Thanks!

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Hah. My puck fell out of the bowl. D'oh! :happy102

I didn't really notice much difference, but I'll try it again with a more secure puck... :rolleyes:

15. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I got really good results when I tried this today.

16. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I tried it out this morning. Brush did get loaded much farther down on bristles but I didn't notice any better lather. The lather was just as dry as normal when I face lathered. I might need to start with a wetter brush.

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

UPDATE: worked pretty well, but I chose a sample I have (can't remember from where/brand), since I didn't want.....v
    ...this ^ to happen :D
    The problem is I've never really gotten a great lather with this soap, even though it, to my knowledge, has received high marks, but then samples are usually harder to lather (it may be TGQ)
    yeah, definitely wetter brush, I've been trying to make myself do face lathering strictly till I get it down well, but some situations have forced me to bowl lather a couple of times, I've been finding I need a wetter brush initially, even though I can add water throughout the process, I've been getting better results starting with a wetter brush for face lathering.
    Tonight - Uncle Albert's Amazing Solid Cream Shave Cake!

18. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I am curious to the soap Mark is using. Looks to be a glycerine soap.

19. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Yep, its a glycerin soap from Emsplace.

--Mark

20. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Thanks Mark:) Good stuff btw! Wasnt that crazy about her shave cream but gycerine soap I had was quite nice.....balancing scent I believe. The skindicinal was a very nice scent as well.