Do I want a slant or what?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lferg, Feb 13, 2009.

1. lferg

lferg New Member

Ok I have a HD and I really really like the weight and over all feel of the razor. I want something a bit more aggressive. I was thinking that I want a Merkur Slant. But I would really like something older. A Gillette of some sort, but my wife and daughter have a '62 and '63 Lady Gillette with butterfly doors. They have almost no weight to them and I think a lot of that has to do with the doors. Anyway, what do I want? Is there a old razor that will fit my bill or should I just get a Slant?

2. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The razor experts will chime in with better info later hopefully. From my time spent in this game, I've noticed that most people recommend moving to the slant only after you've mastered your technique with a more "standard" DE. Don't know what your skill level is, but you may keep that in mind. If it's heft you're looking for the Futur and the HD both fit the bill. Also the Gillette Adjustable's have some weight plus the ability to choose your own level of aggressiveness.

I moved to a Slant after about 5 mos. w/ a Gillette SS. I much prefer the Slant's performance but do agree I needed the skills first.

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Slant, yes, get the slant.

The myth that the slant is the monster of a razor is just that, a myth. Get one and use it, you will never turn back.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

If you want something heavy and aggressive....

Try a NEW head with a LUX handle.

If you like the feel of the HD, you will probably like the feel of an Aristocrat.

5. lferg

lferg New Member

I SAY my skill level is ready for a slant. Wether it is or not is another question. If feel very comfortable wielding the HD around my face and do feel like I have mastered it in the two or so months since I have started wet shaving. I have moved to Feather blades with no issues. My reasoning is that the right side of my face is completely BBS after a two pass weekday morning shave, but the left side of my face, takes a good three to four passes to get it that smooth. But on a two pass shave, only I can tell by rubbing my hand up my face so its not a major issue, just a bit annoying.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

If you want a more aggressive older Gillette, there are several options. A Red Tip Super Speed on the low end, or an Aristocrat on the higher end, or any of the open comb models. Of course, there is always a Fat Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable that can be opened up to a nice aggressive level. A slant is still a good choice, and if you're lucky, you can find a vintage one -- although I think they are pretty much the same as the ones made today.

Okay, as you can see, there are lots of choices, so instead of racking your brain on which one to buy, do what I did and get them all! :happy102

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

<clears throat> SLANT SCHMANT..... Get 1912 model Gem with the heavy handle. You will love it. I can also recommend the 40's Aristocrat, or a late 20's New improved <open comb> . But as always YM...well you know.:D

Fuzzy

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This is very interesting that you say this because I have the exact same issue, and I believe it has more to do with the technique than the razor. Don't take this as put down, because even after a year of shaving with just about every DE (and SE) razor you can think of, I am still fine-tuning my technique to get the job done with fewer passes.

I'm guessing that you are right-handed and do all of your shaving with that right hand, correct? The angle of attack will be different on the right and left sides of your face when wielding the razor with the same hand, so either learn to be ambidextrous, or alter your angle of attack on the left side for more effectiveness. This is what I have done.

9. mmack66

mmack66 Member

If you feel comfortable with the HD, go ahead and get the Slant. You will be pleasantly surprised at how effortless it shaves. Just align the blade so it is parallel to the top cap and use straight strokes and you will be in shaving heaven. Oh, and go ahead and get one of the 1912 Gem's. They are so inexpensive you can't afford not to have one.

10. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I had the same issue for quite a while and still have to pay more attention when I'm shaving the right side of my face (left handed).

I just ordered a Slant today. I say go for it since you're comftorable with your HD.

11. lferg

lferg New Member

Yes and no I am right handed but have been shaving with right side/right hand left side/left hand. But I do agree, I think even shaving left side/left hand my angle is not as "proper" or consistent as with my right hand. I was hoping a Slant would allow me to have less of an "angle issue". I love a BBS shave but can only get a great one on the weekends.

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Then that may be just the ticket for you. IMHO, a slant reduces whiskers quicker and easier than any other razor with no regard to "proper angles".

EDIT: I really am a big fan of the slant, so much so, that I had to have both versions (HD and Barberpole), but I really think going from an HD to a slant is a pretty big jump. You should seriously consider getting the hang of a more aggressive straight bar razor before trying a slant. As I mentioned before, a Red Tip or an adjustable would be good choices. IN FACT, I have a user grade Red Tip that I was going to offer up to a newbie, and if you are interested, PM your address to me and I'll send it your way.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

if by slant you mean gem, then....yes, yes you do.

14. busyguy7447

busyguy7447 New Member

Slant week 1

I asked around too and got a variety of responses so of course I took all of them.....grrrr...:happy102

I got the Merkur slant last week and it's totally all that everyone here says it is. I got super close shaves all week with a little razor burn on Tuesday, but the rest of the week was fine.

Now I'm trying out an Adjustable Slim I picked up on ebay this week. I started out at 4 and got a bunch of nicks so I guess I'll have to work on technique....

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Noob Question: Is there an adjustable slant?

16. tclevela

tclevela New Member

Moving to a Slant? Tough question.
    Obviously you have to be so practiced with a standard DE that you can safely shave while 1/2 asleep.
    The next question would be how your face hair is. As to both thickness of hairs and how many hairs per square inch (density).
    I'm guessing my hair is normal thickness but I do have fewer hairs then the average guy. I use a Mekur HD and have progressed with razor blades to using Feathers as my go to blade. I do three passes and I have an almost perfect shave. If I want BBS then I would need to do a fourth pass. Which is a little too aggressive for my face.

My thinking was I should switch to a slant! Then with just three passes I would have a BBS face. Nope. The shave with a slant wasn't significantly better for me the a standard Mekur HD. This could because I was already using Feather blades and that I don't have a dense beard.

Which is why my thoughts on Slants are if your getting a great shave with three passes stick to that razor. If you need more then three passes then think about a Slant or moving towards Feather blades.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You can adjust anyof then by hitting them with a hammer... Hard.. very hard then replace with a GEM.

Fuzzy

18. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Slant is the only razor ever used in my less than one year de career.

Do not be scared -- follow the great suggestions and you shall be just fine. IMO blade angles matter.

Used numerous blades but think the gillette yellows and feathers are the best blades for this razor.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well the head does slant down.. that counts.

Fuzzy

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Member

Ohh ok. So the bigger the hammer the more the slant right?