Feather Japanese ACD-N

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Baloosh, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Used it for the first time over the weekend. There are a few things I can say about it, for those of you who are interested (and you wouldn't be reading this thread if you weren't interested, right? ;) )

Setup:
    Feather ACD-N Japanese (non-folding straight w/ disposable blades)
    [​IMG]

Feather Pro Guard blade

1. Without a doubt, it takes the lightest touch of any razor I've tried. It's really amazing how little difference there is between a super-light touch that allows the razor to glide over my face, and a super-light touch that causes skipping and tugging. I'm going to have to take this SSSSLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWW for a while until I get my technique nailed down.

2. This will probably be a weekend-only or evening-only shaver for a while. It just takes too much time to go at the pace I need to go, to avoid looking like that great big dude in "300" that got his head lopped off by King Leonidas. :eek:

3. I hope I didn't fall into the "beginner's luck" with straight razors that people talk about... you know, how the first shave is nice and close, no irritation, etc. and then the subsequent shaves are quite a bit less than that? Because if I can manage to repeat my initial performance with this razor, I believe I may have found the cure for my lower neck irritation. This is the first time I've EVER been able to get BBS on my lower neck. The ergonomics of this Japanese straight allow me to get to any angle I want on my neck, with "zero" pressure. It was truly amazing. No redness.. no irritation... nothing except smoooove like buttah.

As I get to use it more, I'll post updates. Also, the Pro Guard blades probably helped make this first outing a success... but I've got a pack of the Pro and Pro Super blades waiting in the wings... one day.... one day...

2. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

I’ve been using this ACD-N for a few weeks now and I can safely say that the more you practice, the faster you get, even with a tool this sharp. The handle just makes sense, though I find it less beautiful than its folding, teak counterpart.

Of course, I haven’t shaved for more than ten days now, so I may have forgotten how to use it.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So what is the angle like on this one? If I remember right, you take it flat to the face or am I misremembering?

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Yes, I found it works best for me if I take the entire housing (blade, holder, etc.) flat to the face. From watching rustyblade over at SMF's video:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17506

He takes a much steeper angle during his passes. I'll probably never get there... that looks like it takes off too much skin to me. It worked for me (once so far) at a much lower angle to my face.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I thought so, it was one reason why it was suggested as not using the Feather as a gateway to a str8. You'd have to relearn the angles.

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Duder - glad to hear that the maiden voyage went well, enjoy :happy088 ::

7. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I've heard the Pro and Super Pro blades provide an excellent first shave, and it's the shaves later in the life of the blade that tend to "bite".

I'm been thinking of going str8 :rofl, but would want to go the disposable route as I'm not too keen on all the maintenance needed for a standard str8. I've got enough shave stuff w/out adding hones, strops, paste, etc onto my list.

Other than the Feather Disposables and the disposables that take 1/2 a DE blade (shavette, etc) are there any other straight disposables that take blades more akin to the feather type blades? I'd like to try going down the str8 route w/out having to blow $100+ on a Feather AC right out of the gate, and I don't really want to go the 1/2 DE blade straight disposable route (what's the point?).

Can someone explain to me the Pro guard blades, do they literally have plastic guards on each side or what?

I know there's a whole 'nother forum that discusses this stuff, but thought I'd ask here first.

~Joshua

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Each blade is literally "wrapped" in a wire cage, which is on a micro scaling, its visible, but very small. [not plastic]

It will almost look like the blade is "barbed"

I don't have them anymore, else I'd take a pic for you

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Here's a pic, courtesy of classic shaving:

[​IMG]

The "tip" of the blade faces south in the above picture, and you can see the wire wrapping.

compared with a regular blade:

[​IMG]

10. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Yep. TJ hit the nail on the head. If I can get home at a decent hour tonight, and my Macro skills are somewhat ok, I'll try to get some closeups of the Pro Guard blades. They do look like tiny wrappings (just like in the pictures) and I think they help create a sort of "barrier" so it's a bit harder to dig into your skin.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

So why does the non folding handle seem better than the folding variety to you? More comfortable or fits the hand more naturally?

12. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

If you're asking me, I really can't say, as I've never used a folding straight razor.. Feather or otherwise.

I just know that this non-folding one fits really well in my hand, and I can maneuver it pretty well around my face. Perhaps it's just beginner's luck... we'll see.

13. jramire2

jramire2 Member

I've heard the nonfolding ones seem to be more ergonomic than the folding versions. But some don't like the looks of a nonfolding.

I'm not a str8 user yet, but I'm still on both sides of the fence. I'll probably end up w/a nonfolding, and yet feel like I'm shaving w/a butterknife every time I shave.

~Joshua

14. xChris

xChris Member

Not yet anyway. :D

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You got that right. :D

I'm trying to figure out why they brought out the Pleana. The Artist Club DX and RG make sense. Cost of materials difference although $100 difference seems a bit absurd. The ACD-N makes sense in a lot of ways. $199 huh? I'm thinking maybe a TI if I get the hang of a str8 though. Maybe this one needs to be passed around. :D

16. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Laffo taffo! Let's just all take a crack at it!!! ;)

Seriously, depending on how the next few shaves go, I may end up keeping it, or selling/trading it. I've got a box of each of the 3 kinds of blades, so I'll never be left wondering "What if?" if I decide it doesn't work for me.

We need a group meet and you crazy kids can bring your folding str8s, and I'll bring the KILL BILL HANZO HATTORI version.

[cue Green Hornet theme]

17. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I think since this is a feather replacable blade the straight handle (pun intended) would not be so bad, but if this was a real blade I think I would constantly be putting dents in it....I would definately have to go with a folding handle for that.

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Dents in the blade or your face? :D

19. fritz

fritz New Member

Shavette Blades

The Dovo Shavette can take two other blades besides a DE broken in half (red holder). The picture shows a regular DE blade, the Shavette with a Fromm blade mounted in the green holder, and the black holder with the extra-long DE blades that you snap in half.

Attached Files: