Open Comb DE's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shep, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

haha I will let you know when the time comes. :)

Behold!
    [​IMG]

More to follow when it arrives :)

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

:drool:eatdrink004:eatdrink047

Congrats! Now, if you put that in the trial box, I will send you a PM.:happy102

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

:sihns011

Me Too!!

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

SWEETTTTT Rodd

5. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I just acquired a 1920 Old Type. I had about 3 days worth of clearcutting to do, and it performed admirably. No irritation, nicks, nothing. I have another OC on the way. I wish I could say it was as beautiful as that Double Ring.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They are great razors... Now get a hold of a SE:D

7. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I happen to be a big fan of it myself. Very smooth shavers.
    Bryce hooked me up with my first bar handle New and I've since acquired THREE more! One of them had bad plating and is out getting a nickel-plating job, and I've only just noticed that another of them has the larger teeth.
    All the handles seem the same, so was there a model difference for the larger toothed head?

My luck with Old Types has not been as good. Every time I find a decent double ring, the bidding goes higher than I'm willing to pay. I haven't given up, though. Eventually I'll figure out how to cloak the auctions I want from the other vultures. :D

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

After a several weeks of trials and tests the winner is:

The Bostonian. A great shaver with just the right head angle, tooth length and width and weight. I shaved this razor with a few different blades and several soaps and creams. Didn't matter; got a great shave every time. Can't say that about the others.

Thanks Rodd! :happy088

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

That's the New Improved, right? I still need to get my hands on one of them....I'll find one locally some day. So far I like my long toothed NEW the best out of the 3 OCs I've tried... both a long and short toothed NEW, and an Old Type (not sure which cap - thick or thin...)

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A new Improved was the first OC I ever got. I will have to revisit it here soon. I have not taken the ole gal out on a date in awhile. Glad you enjoyed the things there Shep.

11. DV8_JERM

DV8_JERM New Member

I love a open comb razor I have 5 or 6 I like my 1909 my New Hell I like them all cant find anything wrong with any gillette open comb razor I will have to post some pics.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Never really much appreciated the open comb in the past, however I am coming to respect my Tech more and more.

13. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I recently had an open comb given to me. Well, I asked about a '30s razor, and was offered a Sheraton, just happened to be open comb. Love it. Love it. Love it. Fantastic shaver. I can't tell at the moment if it's just the OC aspect, or the razor itself, but I've gotten nothing but fantastic shaves out of it this week.

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

glad you like it!

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:confused:

16. sol92258

I do, 2 pass shaves only, darn-near BBS!

Might have to get a dremel after my other razors, now....:D

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Check your blade Jim you might not have the right one for your beard type.

18. sol92258

nah, I've got my blades that work for me, I just had never tried an open-comb til this one. Like I said previously, I don't know if it's just this razor's configuration, or the OC itself, but it's a darn fine shave. Very close to the shaves I get from my super-adjustable, but with fewer passes.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The sherdan I tried was too mild for me. Try a OLD that is a razor :D When you get the lather catcher running you will throw out all the others anyway.

20. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

It was worth a try, suggesting.