This might be a stupid question

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by ndw76, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I'll be the first to admit that this might be a stupid question, but I have to ask.
    I got my first DE razor in the mail today. Tomorrow morning I am going to dive into DE shaving. I have been using a straight for about four months now but I wanted a DE to take with me when I go on holiday in a few weeks time. This brings me to my question. When you insert the disposable razor into the DE razor, is there a right way up for the disposable razor?
    If this is a stupid question please feel free to tell me so.
    Cheers,
    Nathan

2. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Generally flat side down is the correct way. :D

3. Hawkman

Hawkman New Member

I don't think that there is a "right side up" but I am a newb and could be wrong.

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

either way is fine. Good luck with the shave this morning. Being a straight user, though, you should have no problems.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yeah, either one of the flat sides should be okay. Unless you're loading your razor horizontally, that is - in this case the edge (again, either one) should look upwards :D

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

and the numbers (1, 2, 3, 4) on some blades don't have any relevance to how you shave or load them in the razor.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Short answer - no. I'll think of a long one if you want.

8. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

No worries. Just place it in there and go.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

+1, only generally. Hypothetically is a different story.

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Now I see your problem. I typically throw out the disposable razor, then unwrap a razor blade, and place that flat side down!! (I personally am impressed you were able to fit a disposable razor in at all!!! :happy102

11. Hraefn

Hraefn New Member

going from a str8 to a de is kinda like leaving mensa and becoming a jeff foxworthy joke.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Yeah what he said. I wonder why anyone would ever devolve to a double edge from the straight. With the straight you need not buy anything further and costs you $0.00 to shave with it in the future while double edges have a cost for the blades.

13. techdog

techdog New Member

Looks like you got your answer. Good luck.

14. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

The DE is for when I go away on holiday. At least that is what I told my wife. It was actually an excuse to buy another shaving impliment. But after a week or so of using a DE I really miss the straight. When I get back home I'm going to buy a small barbers hone and a travel strop.

15. Good plan.

I miss using a straight too.
    And I just finished shaving fifteen minutes ago... :D

For travel you could always go with a Feather AC with disposable blades.

16. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Going from Str8 to DE in my estimation is by no means a bad move.

1.) No honing, no stropping.
    2.) With a DE you can shave as quickly as you would with a cart.

& should you opt to go the disposable Str8 route, via shavette, via Feather AC, you still encounter problem no. 2.

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

When you have been shaving with a straight for some time, people tell me, the straight is faster than the double edge. Stropping and honing becomes more of a minor inconvience then a factor in shich shave implement to use. I still wonder why devolving from a straight is a consideration.

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Now...gentlemen. The DE has its place, there's no need to be impolite. A good DE is a very smooth, comfortable shaver, with a great history and a wonderful variety of workmanship. Straights are another thing entirely, and to say that one is truly better than the other is a bit offsides, I reckon.

19. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

After going to a DE for my holiday I have come to the conclusion that the DE does infact have its place. That is to be used when my wife and I go for a weekend away and only pack one bag between us. A month without a straight is too long. I think I am going through withdrawl symptoms as yesterday I bought another five from an antique store to be cleaned up and honed when I get back home.