French shave products?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by olafurson, Mar 17, 2009.

1. olafurson

olafurson Member

Hi!

I've got a friend flying to Paris next month, and she offered to pick me up something while she was there.

What, related to shaving, is exclusively French? ie: you can't get it anywhere else? Something that can't easily be ordered off the internet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Martin de Candre shaving soap is the only thing I know that's hard to find and distinctly French. I wouldn't recommend it though because it's expensive and not really great. A D.R. Harris soap outperforms it.

3. olafurson

olafurson Member

OK, what are some French things that DON'T suck? :rolleyes:

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Crepes, cheese, wine.

By your french shave gear online.

5. Poulin

Poulin New Member

café & crêpes! MMMMMMMM!!!!!

Maybe a bottle of LT Piver?

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Most of the things that are French country - French Country Cooking, French wine, Provence region soaps and other hygiene products. Even some of the Parisian stuff isn't bad, but 90% of what gets to the USA is the cheapest of cheap junk from Paris.

7. Hiya,

Nothing shaving related from France that you can't get online that I can think of. However, ask your friend if she'll smuggle in some of the toast they have. It's a specialty of the country!

Excellent with a little maple syrup,
    Martin

One French shaving thing that's top notch is the Institut Karite shaving soap. Heh, that's in response to non sucking French stuff you asked about.

8. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

My sister is over there right now. She's looking for Monsavon for me. I also asked her to grab some Erasmic and Irisch Moos if she can.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Erasmic in France?? I don't think so! :)

10. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

So Erasmic isn't something you'd find in the EU in general?

11. Leon

Leon Active Member

Good thinking. I got mine from a French friend of mine. Lovely soap and dirt cheap.

12. Hawkman

Hawkman New Member

It can be bought in the UK at most chemists and for small change. The UK isn't REALLY in the EU, although the politicians like to tell us it is.:D

13. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I would recommend anyone traveling to Paris to stop by the Pinaud building and the Faberge building. True, you can get Brut and Pinaud in the US and the EU- but what they make in France stays in France, and there's absolutely no comparison to what is sold elsewhere.

14. crackstar

These are 4 vintage shaving sticks from France--I just used the Michaud this morning.

Attached Files:

15. Poulin

Poulin New Member

Great looking items. I sure as heck wouldn't mind having some of those around! Great score!

16. crackstar

Thanks, my friend. All are good soaps, although I wish they had more of a scent. Otherwise, they are fine. :)

17. Cowtown

Cowtown New Member

I am unsure of French only products since all the TERRIFIC French shave soaps I have used are readily available in the U.S. However, Roger and Gallet discontinued their L'home shave soap in the U.S. a few years ago. It may still be available in France. From mos accounts it is a good/very good soap.

Regards, Todd

18. guerty

guerty New Member

Hello

You can easily find Roger & Gallet products (shaving soap, cream, cologne ...)in Parapharmacie or perfums shop.

All Occitane products are sell in l'Occitane shop.

One address of a shaving shop in Paris : planete-rasoir.com (they have an internet link)

If you like Palmolive cream the green, you can find it in every drugstore for about 1,25 Euro.

19. crackstar

Welcome to TSD! :)

20. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I love l'Occitane's SS - for its performance.

Its bath soap are so boring, though