Made my first batch of soap last night

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by moviemaniac, Mar 26, 2009.

1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My brother and I had been planning this for quite some time now. My brother brought the lye and we had some free time together yesterday so we bought some Olive oil and went ahead.

The soap-recipe is:
    90% olive oil
    9% canola oil
    1% coarsely ground coffee beans.
    superfatted by 5%

Scent: lavender EO + tea-tree EO

I have to say I really love making soap, you have to be careful but since I had four years of chemistry in school that wasn't to big of an issue for me. Too bad I have to wait a few weeks now before I can try it :o

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Excellent thing to acomplish. I have always liked the idea of making soap to smell the way I want it to and excatly the way I want it to. Have not ventured off into this yet, I plan to do so in the near future.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is AWESOME! I look forward to hearing what you think of it! I love the idea of coffee as an exfoliate!

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

with such a high percentage of olive oil, please let us know how it lathers when you can. I'm still trying to figure out how that equals into the equation of "latherability". Thanks!

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Shouldn't shave soap have glicerine in it? Never heard of Coffee beans in soap, what does that do for the soap?

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

I'm just goung to go out on a limb here and say...this ISN'T shave soap. Probably just plain old soap...

Ya'll have shaving on the brain, I tell you!

Good job, Klaus! I love DIYers!

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Jim already said it - It isn't a shaving but a body soap. I wanted to make one with a very high percentage of olive oil in it because this makes it very mild and the superfatting with olive oil is great for sensitive skin. I don't expect the soap to lather much besides creating coarse bubbles.

@jbcohen: The ground coffee is in there to exfoliate as well as to help remove odors. Tea tree EO disinfects and Lavender just happens to be my favourite scent :D
    Oh, and no, I don't know why soap *should* have glycerine in it. You can add it if you want when making cold-processed soaps, but I don't think it's necessary when making body soaps.

@all: thanks for your lovely comments! I will post pics tomorrow when I cut the soap!

8. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Yep, I figured that out because of the high percentage of oil. :D I'm still curious, though. I'd like to find a medium where olive oil could be used in shaving soap- to get lather and actually be noticeable on the skin. I have also recently dabbled in soap making myself...

EW

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, I have contact to many soapers and I can tell you that _every_ shaving soap that doesn't rely on surfactants to lather has a very low content of olive oil - if it contains any at all. OO is a lather killer, that's the sad truth :(

10. omegapd

omegapd New Member

yep, that is what I've found out too, but still hoping there is a chance to make it work somehow. :)

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

If I had a nickle..... ;)

But I wish you good luck anyway - you're gonna need it :D

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

taaaaaaaa-daaaaaaah:

img_1204.jpg

13. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I'll bet that soap smells GREAT! I haven't made soap since I was a kid with Grama.

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Oh yes it does! The lavender and tea tree EOs smell great :)

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Nice lookin soap buddy! :happy096

16. JimR

JimR Active Member

Very nice...for some reason, I keep thinking it looks like chocolate chip ice cream...

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

TASTE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Looks good, what did you use for a mold? Coffee in soap is nice.

Issy

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I used a wooden box with a plastic bag inside as the mold for the about 40 ounces of soap. Just used what I had available :D

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Looks awesome! Have you gotten to try it yet, or is it still curing?