Grab bag

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jbcohen, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not for Flat Rate shipping. It has to be a USPS Flat Rate Shipping Box, to get the rates I quoted above.

Any box will do, if you don't care how much shipping will cost.

2. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I've got oodles of Priority boxes at home (I wonder how they got there?) so no biggie

Hey Jim, be sure to tell your European friends to come sign up :D

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

Sure, I think some guy named Jimbo, of strop fame, lives down around Sicily--maybe we should call him up!

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm interested when it gets to the USA. Last time it went around I was just getting into this wet shaving thing and didn't have enough to put anything in. Now I have a soap, an ASB, several packs and partial packs of blades, and a few other little goodies I don't care to keep. Well over $20 worth of stuff, enough to be worth the ~$11 shipping. Guess I need to send a PM.

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Does Colorado have any quality shave shops? The seat of the US Federal Government, Washington, DC does not. The consumers have been conned into the cartridge razors.:angry037

6. hoglahoo

31 March

On April 11th I'm going to send out a box of goodies to the next person on this list. Then they will take whatever they want out of the box and replace it with a similar amount of goodies from their own stash. Then they ship the box to the next person on the list.

To get on the list, send me a pm or simply post something in this thread like "count me in" and I'll put your name on the list

The List

----------
    JAPAN
    JimR

USA
    djwurm
    jbcohen
    ChemErik
    ksenor
    Slidden Jim

Please give your shipping address to the name on the list above yours.

* The list is being updated as the thread grows as I will not be able to come back and edit this post forever *

7. riffin

riffin Active Member

There is The Art of Shaving in Union Station and at 1050 Conn Ave in DC. At home I have a list of barbershops that MAY do shaves. I started researching and didn't get back to it.

Their web page says they use a traditional straight with a removable blade. Does anyone know what it is? Is it a Dovo Shavette?

EDIT: Sorry for the hijacking. I started a new thread: "DC Shaves."

8. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I'm a newbie but building up goodies quickly. By the time it gets back to the states i should have enough to be able to pitch in. Would love to get in on this if possible.

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Simply send a private message to hoglahoo telling him that you want to be on the list. And make sure that the cash value of what you put in to the box is equal to or greater than what you take out of the box.

10. djwurm

djwurm New Member

So I need to give JimR my address correct?

11. hoglahoo

Well, I am waiting to see if any other Europeans want to get in on it first to bump them ahead of the line. As soon as April 11 rolls around and the grab bag officially gets underway then I will post here that the box has been sent to Jim R and whoever is directly under him should send him their address

So yes if no other Eastern Hemispherians sign up between now and the Saturday after next then you will need to send JimR your address

12. hoglahoo

Update

I ended up screwing around with my taxes all day Saturday and didn't get the box mailed. I did fill it up though and will get it sent out today.There are a bunch of creams and soaps, a thing of shave oil, a thing of aqua velva (man that stuff smells so nasty I didn't even ever try it), some other aftershaves, a worn down straight razor, and some cheapo brushes. I'll post photos tonight.

Don't forget you can continue to sign up anytime!

13. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Thanks for the information, wanted to get a sense where things are. I have some soaps for the box.

Hope you have those taxes done, taxes are always a source of a lot of debate in my house. Darn things get real complicated at times.

14. JimR

JimR Active Member

Sweet! I'm sure it will get here with no problems. Nope, it won't get "lost in the mail" at all...::angelic004

15. hoglahoo

Liar. Actually I spent last night screwing around with taxes again, but here is a photo anyway

Sorry guys, I don't have any DE stuff :(

Attached Files:

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

That's all right I will rememdy that when it gets to me, I am second on the list. Most of the items in this photo can also be used for double edges as well.

I wonder if there are any new wet shavers on the list of grab bag members.

Folks - make sure the cash value of what you put in is equal to or greater than the value of what you take out. Ebay and Amazon Marketplace are excellent arbitrators of what the value of a given item is.

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I hope one of those marble looking brushes makes it to me - really like those handles.
    On constantly increasing the value, I forsee this could get out of hand. Perhaps when we get deeper into this someone could pull together a starter kit and make a PIF? Obviously that won't happen until we're well into the process, but when this no longer fits in a medium flat rate box I think it should be considered.

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I understand what you are saying about the value. I don't think its a good idea for someone to take out a high value item and throw in garbage. Which is what I am trying to prevent. If you take out garbage, feel free to put in garbage.

19. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I think value is relative. What you might consider garbage because in money terms it's "cheap," could be exactly what someone's been looking for, or their top of the line in performance. I might consider a product 'garbage' because it doesn't work well for me, no matter how expensive it is.

If you're concerned about getting "gipped," maybe you shouldn't participate. Next, you'll be asking to price items and keep a ledger...:rolleyes: So much for trust and faith in your fellow man, especially in such a close nit community as this one....:(

20. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Based on the pictures from the last box, I'd be more concerned about the size of the collection growing to something excessive than the value going way down. I've also seen most of the members here are very generous. Worst case I can see is at a couple points someone overvalues their own items and/or undervalues items in the box and the value decreases $5-10. Even then, I don't think it would be intentional or be severe enough to ruin the grab bag. Most likely by the time we're a ten people in someone is going to be having a hard time getting everything in the flat rate box and the value will be at least triple what was origonally sent.

My advice: When trusting money or items of value to a friend, never risk more than you can afford to lose without losing the friendship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.