Merkur comb..open? or no.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by C utz, Jun 19, 2007.

1. C utz

C utz New Member

I'm looking at these Merkur travel razors, and I am not sure what the difference between the 'open comb' and the 'straight guard' have and what each would have on shaving....

Anyone know?!

Thank!!
    C utz

2. fritz

fritz New Member

See this thread, at TOP, and the post linked to at TOOP:
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20900&highlight=open+comb

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

An open comb would be a great vacation razor if you feel that you not gonna shave everyday.. Or it would be great anyway.. :cool:

I have and use a Merkur 1904 OC that I truly enjoy using.. Theyre cool razors that gives a very nice shave.. Specially if you put washers between the blade and the end-piece.. Kinda replicates the Gillette NEW..

Fire away and get one.. You can newer own too many razors :D

4. C utz

C utz New Member

Thanks!

I shave with a straight razor, so some of these DE features escape me. I'm looking at them and want that blade on the skin, not with a bar or comb in front...so I had to ask. Since I figure I should have a travel razor that is not a straight razor (for over seas travels/airplane trips that do not allow straight razors as cary-ons), I'm looking at the DE set ups and scratchin' my head with the options...

Thanks again, I think I'm going with the 'open comb'!

C utz

P.S. Why and how with the washer modification :confused:

5. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I use 1mm washers that I put under the blade to raise it above the safety-comb, this gives the blade more acess to the skin so to say.. It also requires a bit more slow-going while shaving.. Best is to try.. But be gentle..

6. Smedley

Smedley New Member

My one vintage open comb gives me the best shaves of all my razors. Why, I do not know. I care not for physics, just results!! ::kar

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

same here - my 1919 Old Standard in Gold just ROCKS!

8. fritz

fritz New Member

Not a bad choice. Although I have seen it said that the Slants shave more like a str8 than even the open combs. I have a Slant and it shaves me generally with one less pass than my other razors. I've noticed that a fair number of str8 shavers mention the Slant as a travel alternative. Might check in that forum to see what they recommend.

A Dovo Shavette with the green holder and the rigid Fromm-type blades might work, as would the Feather AC if you really want to spend money. Carry on the razor with the blades checked. I also have a Dovo Shavette and it works well for me. But I haven't shaved with a real str8 for 35 years now.

9. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I was told that with Merkur razors. the open comb model shaves closer than that straight bar. That's why I bought one.

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I never quite liked the feel of the open comb against my face, but it shaved fine.

11. C utz

C utz New Member

Funny, I purchased a slant a while back for just that reason!
    I'm looking to go smaller for the travel bag though, and get the collaps-able Merkur travel razor. I'm going to keep the slant in the cabinet at home for when I miss a hair or so (on a dull straight) and don't have the motivation to go back to the collection and get a sharp one.

On a side note, I was at a few antique shops this past weekend, and saw an old Gillette razor (looked like the HD with an open comb; gold in color) in great condition in a nice lil' box with purple velvet linning...anyway, I noticed that 'hanger' design that was referanced to earlier, in which there is a little shoulder in the Gillette, where the blade is lifted off the comb.

Incidentally, if you guys collect this type of razor, let me know, and I can pick it up for you. If I recall it was relatively cheap (~$15-20), and in almost new condition....(I'm not much of a saftey razor kinda guy, so I pass these up when I see them. Now, where ARE the straight razors kept? :) )

C utz

12. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

From the Guide: