RAZOR ID

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rainman, Apr 12, 2009.

1. rainman

rainman New Member

I have a couple ideas about this razor. The handle is similiar to the 30's Gillette NEW ball handle. The head possibly from the Gillette commissioned American Button Co Pocket Editions. I'm sure someone here will have a better idea than me.

Attached Files:

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I've got the same razor and have always imagined it to be a Gillette Old style with a ball handle, although it has no serial number. Base plate and handle both have Gillette markings. Lacquered gold plated finish on my is worn down to brass on the cap, but the handle is nice and not split. Great shaver, if a bit on the aggressive side.

I'd be interested to know if I've guessed incorrectly.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. rainman

rainman New Member

Now that you mention it I see on the net a chrome razor that looks the same being described as a Gillette old type. Most likely you are correct.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

looks just like my Old Type.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I used my Old like that the other day. Great shaving razor for a DE:D

6. rainman

rainman New Member

What is it comparible to if any? Never tried open comb.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not know what to compare them too. The 2 I have are nice aggressive razors. More so then any of the other DE's that I have. The open Combs are about the only DE's I will use. You should give it a whirl. Just take it easy until you see how it drives.

8. rainman

rainman New Member

Thanks. The one pictured is actually one that I recently purchased. I bought it first and asked questions later.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That IMO is the absolute best way to do it. I love the shave from them. Second only to a SE me thinks. A lot of SE guys like the open combs DE's. I have posted a few threads on this.

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

One of those is a must in my rotation. Love it.

11. rainman

rainman New Member

I was wondering if there is any difference between shaving with this and shaving with the 1904 single ring gillette?

Attached Files:

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I can't tell from your original pics if your is an Old style or the revised old style with the thicker cap. However, they shave very similar. The handle is weighted a little different and that will affect the feel of the shave, but the head is basically the same.

13. rainman

rainman New Member

How about the gillette new standard?

Attached Files:

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Don't have a New Standard... would like one, just haven't managed to get one yet....

Anyway, what you pictured is an Old type ball end, it would probably shave closer to the Pat 1904 single ring (basically same head) than the New Standard. The New Standard has geometry differences in the head and possibly a different number of teeth.

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm no expert, but I thought "Standard" and "De Luxe" were used to differentiate between different NEW razors - the handles and cases. What you have in that pic looks to me to be a New Improved. Possibly a mismatched box and razor set? But I'm a newbie to the Gillette ID game, so take it with a grain of salt....

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

In this case New Standard is a type of New Improved. Richwood, Algonquin, Bostonian, etc... are all the same razor but a different case. However, they also made some of those in NEW models as well. It is just plain confusing. But the pic shown was a New Imrpoved in a New Standard case making it a NEW Standard NEW Improved....

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:angry032 :angry021 :angry019 :angry032 :angry021 :angry019

just when I think I'm starting to get it....:rolleyes:

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just stick to the SE :D

19. Truckman

Truckman New Member

says the man who's doing a week of DE...:rolleyes: :happy102

20. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

It is the newer type #102A cap and guard. Note the round corners on the cap. The #102 has sharp, squared of corners. That is one dead giveaway. The second giveaway is the absence of the serial number. Gillette dropped the serial number from the old types after August of 1921 when they went to the new cap/guard design since they were only sold as low end models because of the introduction of the New Improved razors which settled into the high end niche.