Games you like to play

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by djwurm, Apr 18, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

My wife and I love having people over and playing games (not Wii, Xbox, OR PS3). We have introduced alot of people to different types of games you dont find in your typical toy store, target, walmart, etc..

I would love to hear some games you guys or gals play that are not your typical monopoly, life, pictionary, scrabble, etc..

Here are some games that we play with friends and if you try them you will love them!

1. Carcassonne - A very popular German tile game that every time you play it is different. It has no board, you lay down tiles to construct a city and use little wooden men called Meeples to act as knights, monks, farmers, thiefs to score points. It also has tons of smaller addon tile sets that expand the basic scoring and add new elements. It is imported by Rio Grande Games. Every one I have introduced this game to has gone out and bought their own copy..

[​IMG]

2. Mille Bornes - A French card game. The premise of Mille Bornes is that the players are in a road race. Each race—or hand—is usually 700 miles (or kilometers) long, but the first player to complete that distance exactly has the option to declare an extension in which case the race becomes 1,000 miles. (In the four-player version, the target distance is 1,000 miles from the start.) The object of the game is to reach 5,000 points, which normally takes several hands.

3. Quiddler - card game created by Set Enterprises. Players compete by spelling English words from cards in hands of increasing size, each card worth various points. The game may be considered a mixture of Scrabble and gin rummy. I usually hate scrabble type games but this one really works well and is fun to play with 4 or more people.

[​IMG]

4. Settlers of Catan - Settlers was the first German-style board game to achieve popularity outside Europe. The game has rapidly become popular in part because its mechanics are relatively simple, while its dynamics are quite complex. The game is well suited for family play, since no one gets eliminated, and players who are behind can strive towards goals that are within their reach. This one also has addons that expand the game beyond its basic set.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Mostly card games here... LOVE Canasta..and Rook... kind of run of the mill I know but that is me. :D

3. djwurm

djwurm New Member

if you like Rook then you should try mille bornes or quiddler.. they have the same feel and are in the same wheel house.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have played mille bornes I believe but a very long time ago.

5. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Cribbage for me...

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Euchre. Bit it's very hard to find people in Wisconsin that play.

7. Sugarbush gnome

Sugarbush gnome New Member

Nickle a point.:D

Doc.

8. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

You're on... :D

My wife's a Euchre player (Indiana). Can't figure that game... but it sure goes fast when people that know what they're doing are playing it. I suppose she thinks exactly the same thing about cribbage. :ashamed001

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

It's been a bunch of years since I played carcasonne, but I loved it.

My wife and I have been known to play Illuminati! the card game by steve jackson games. It's not the collectible version, but rather the version that came out before all that. It's absolutely hilarious, especially when you play it with a group.

We're also fond of scrabble...

10. Hiya,

I learned to play cribbage online maybe 5-6 years ago, and was an active player before quitting a couple years back. Yeah, I pretty much stopped all online playing, which was a drastic thing, but necessary. I even quit my favorite card game called Pitch.

Anyway, it took me a loooong time to fully understand how subtle cribbage really is. There's so many small moves that are a part of being a good player, but it takes playing many hands to see the true deal. I got to be fairly good and could hold my own with any other player. Heh, I always tried to avoid a 3 way game, much preferring two handed or even partners if need be.

A few members gave me some lessons and also played in practice games, plus I played a bunch with just bots. Heh, I still remember remarking to these guys about crib being all in the cards........which turned out to be way off. It had a lot to do with the play as I found out.

Once I decided to play in a 'ranked' game, I ran up against a top player right away. I hadn't played more than 15 hands before scoring a 28. Yeah, not bad eh? At the time though, I thought it was no big deal, although my opponent was amazed to see it. I never got another 28 in the 3-4 years of steady play afterwards.

I did however have 3 5s and the J of clubs dealt to me about 3 years after playing and you know what came up? Yep, the 5 of clubs. Heh, by that time I realized exactly how tough a score that was. I'd never even seen one in the thousands of games I'd played with others.

Ok, I am done,
    Martin

Oh, I also learned euchre online, and played that for a while. You members who enjoy euchre might like to look at pitch, or 'setback'. It's kinda similar to euchre, the main difference being pitch is fun to play........heh.

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My favorite game when I'm with a group of people is "Apples to Apples". It's basically picking a card from your hand with people, places, and things listed on them that the "judge" for each round will think best matches a card they turn over which has an adjective. It's really simple, sometimes very funny, anyone can play but no one is bored, and each game is fairly short (<1/2 hour) so it's flexible enough for various schedules. In the right crowd, I find certain games more fun, but this is the one I'd pick most often and with the most people.

12. djwurm

djwurm New Member

I have played this a few times and dont like it. I dont like games that require people to scream or speak/debate over other people to try and win a point. Everytime I played people would not follow ther rules and kept hinting/telling the person who was picking the best answer which card was theirs. Then usually the card pick was the significant others.

It was just fustrating to play that game.

13. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

+1

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Pinochle. Monopoly. Scrabble sometimes.

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Never had that problem. I'm rather surprised that it's happened to you more than once.

16. Milton

Milton New Member

Ah, Mille Bournes. Great game. Rather than partners, I like to play a good 3 person game. I think it leads to more sabatoge and strategy in the game.

Lately though I've been getting into word games like Scrabble and Boggle. Although now I'm definitely going to check out Carcassonne, Quiddler, and Settlers of Catan.

17. djwurm

djwurm New Member

We only play Mille Bournes with 3 people, I hate playing teams with 4.

If you are looking to get into scrabble and boggle then try Quiddler. I found Quiddler on ebay for buy it know of 9 + 2 dollars shipping.

Carcassonne is best as a 2-3 person game while settlers is best as a 3 person game.

18. Hiya,

So, I see nobody mentioned various dice games. I guess most members aren't familiar with a few fun ones good for multiple players, not to mention head to head. These are some games using the cup and five dice.

The first and most famous would be Liars Dice, often seen played at bars. It's my favorite of the four I'll mention here........mainly because it's the sneakiest to play. The others also have their charms though, but just not as well known.

These additional games would include 'Ship, Captain, and Crew', 'Boss', and '3's Away'. I'm sure the rules are easily available for each online somewhere.

I found dice games to be a nice change of pace from cards.
    Martin

19. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Bejeweled 2!

20. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Martin

I played a Dice game in St. Augustine called Shut the Box. I guess it is an old pirates dice game... It was fun for awhile but got pretty boring.