Silvertip vs. Best Badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ryan0626, May 14, 2009.

1. Teiste

Teiste New Member

yeah man,sadly it happens and sometimes we feel ripped off....:mad:

2. domino

domino New Member

If you are interested in a silvertip brush, the Semogue (2015)from Vintage is very well made.I use it with Tabac with out any problems:cool:

3. highball

highball Member

+1

4. Teiste

Teiste New Member

excellent cheap quality option.

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

what is the difference in the "HD" version?

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

the HD version is more packed than the normal one,but still the 22mm knot.

7. Special_K

Special_K New Member

i'm just getting into brushes so i'm a little slow here...
    what is the advantage/disadvantage of that or is it just a personal choice based on feel?

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

For me is just a personal choice.I like super or finest badger better than silvertip(in most of the cases)I like brushes with a good backbone and not floppy at all,as I use hard soaps and face lathering a lot.Others like floppy brushes as they use creams and bowl lathering or just like the feeling of softness on their faces.

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

The more and more I use my boar, the more I'm liking the stiffness over my silvertip. I'm pretty much just face lathering now. In fact, even today I face lathered cream with my ER 100T boar. I do enjoy how nice the silvertip feels, but I seem to have been getting better performance from my boar. If I still bowl lathered (soaps or creams), I think the silvertip would do me better....

10. Special_K

Special_K New Member

i should have been more specific what does the fact that it is more packed to do the performance?

11. Teiste

Teiste New Member

well,its more packed so can hold/release more water,so technically you should be able to create more lather from it as well as to have a better backbone,but thats "technically since I havent tried it.

12. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I find that the more dense the knot, the less floppy the brush is. What does this do to performance? In my experience, not much. You can get a lather with either. Hell, I've seen a video of someone generating a lather with a cloth. It all comes down to preference. I prefer a nice firm brush for my soaps, and a softer brush for my creams. But I have been able to also generate a lather from soap with a floppy brush, and a lather from cream with a dense, firm brush.

I will say, though, that the denser brushes tend to be lather hogs - the lather gets sucked down into the core of the brush, and you have to coax it out for subsequent passes.

13. Special_K

Special_K New Member

gotcha ya...thanks guys...i am going to buy a brush but there are sooooo many to choose....trying to do all my research and not make an impluse buy, except that special edition one in the vendor corner is calling my name

14. Teiste

Teiste New Member

sorry man,I missed that,what special edition,the Semogue horn handle?

15. Special_K

Special_K New Member

YUP!!! that sure is pretty

16. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I can tell it is!Those brushes are really well made.I have received today a Semogue boar brush and its a beauty as well as nice built.Im gonna purchase more Semogues for sure.