Your Favorite Cartridge Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 5, 2007.

1. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

What's your favorite cartridge razor? And, maybe you don't even have a favorite cartridge razor...that's OK too.

I know some of us still use a cartridge razor on occasion. They're not all bad, IMHO. I still like my Sensor! I use only Sensor cartridges, since the Sensor Excel and the Sensor 3 seem to produce irritation. I don't use it everyday as you can see from my post about our favorite razors in the Safety Razor section. I use it about 10% of the time.

I primarily use it to shave the hard to reach little area under my nose, and sometimes if I'm in a really big hurry I'll grab the Sensor for a quickie. It really reminds me of the luxury and comfort of the DE.

I even have a Trumper handle for the Sensor and a Gillette Special Platinum Edition handle. I currently use the Trumper handle; it is Faux Ivory...makes a nice classic look.

I have never been able to use any cartridge razor beyond the Sensor with any measure of success. I have a Mach 3 handle somewhere, but I just can't adjust to its angle, nor the amount irritation it can produce in a short time. FWIW, YMMV!

I'm by no means promoting the cartridge razor over the DE, but just thought some comments would be interesting.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Gillette Sensor, not the Excel

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    sometimes these are a needed convenience when traveling.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Before switching to the AC, I was using a Wilkinson XtremeIII.
    I had tested Gillette Sensor Excel, Gillette Mach 3, Wilkinson Protector 3D Diamond and Wilkinson FX Diamond.

When travelling, I use the Feather AC and a brushless cream.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Thats not a bad Idea ! to use the Feather AC for that beats bringing your paddle strop.

How many shaves do you get out of one blade for the Feather AC ?

6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

In a previous existance....the Wilkinson Sword Diamond. I really liked it until someone tried to convince me that 4 blades were better. If I went back to cartridges...the Diamond would probably be the one,.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Trac 2 and Sensor. but I haven't used them in some time.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Approximately eight.

9. Baron

Baron New Member

The only one I have is a Fusion cause I got it for free... so I guess it's my favorite by default?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Truthfully, I havent shaved with a cartridge razor since making the switch to DE last September.

11. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I bought a Wilkinson cartridge on one of my trips to London. I had banked on Boots selling DE blades, but I couldn't find any in the one outside customs at Heathrow. Anyway, the Wilkinson actually did a nice job.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Eh, me neither (July for me). But if some low snake came in and stole all my DEs, I guess I could go hunt up the old Sensor handle I have and find a cartridge somewhere for it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I haven't shaved with a cartridge in a long time, but based on what I have used I'd have to say the Sensor worked pretty well. Not sure why I ever switched to Mach III before finally making the DE plunge?

14. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Is growing my beard back an option? :p

I guess I would use my Quattro since I'm used to it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

Only ones I've used are the Quattro, the Mach3, M3 turbo and M3 power. Mach 3 power was the best one out of that but nothing compared to my straights and the cartidges cost a freakin fortune. Still cheap compared to the Fusion ones that only just came out here though. If I wouldn't be using a straight I'd be switching to a fusion right now simply because I was always looking for something better.

16. RAMTIP

RAMTIP New Member

I do like the edges of my goatee to be well defined, and I haven't had consistent success with my HD due to the shorter strokes required. With this in mind, I get the Sensor out for a good trim about once every two weeks utilizing one long downward pass on each side. It's also easier for me to see when trimming underneath the goatee.

I use a Mach 3 Turbo for my headshave, as I'm not sure I could fully control the different angles blindly with a DE. :ashamed001

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. The only cartridge that has ever given me a good shave is the Fusion. I know that knocking it has become a cottage industry on these forums, but I get a very smooth, clean shave with one. For the life of me, I can't understand how I can complain about the expense of the replacement blades, then go and spend a fortune on all this other crap. :rofl

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Gatorade

Gatorade New Member

I liked my Quattro before I started with a DE. I won't go back but if there were no DEs then the Quattro is for me.

19. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Wetshaving is just that, wetshaving. To me wetshaving means removing ones whiskers, by using some type of blade, while they are wet, i.e. applying a base, layer or coating of lather produced from soap and water or cream and water.

The choice of the blade or razor is just as personal a choice as the soap or cream. Matter of fact, IMHO, it's still wetshaving even if you choose to use a 'brushless' cream. It boils down to 'what works for you'.

If a cartridge razor, or even a disposable, works well for someone and they like using it, then that is great. If a DE razor works well for someone and they like using it, then that is great. Just the same as some of us are 'soap' oriented, and some of us are 'cream' oriented.

I, for one, appreciate hearing unbiased feedback about any blade razor, including cartridges and disposables. Thanks for your candid remarks about your favorite razor.

20. jmhUT

jmhUT New Member

Not exactly cartridge specific but I've been experimenting with disposables quite a bit lately. I used bic metals all through January and most of February. Not bad at all. The regular and sensitive skin bics were OK but not as good as the metals.

This moring I used a Gillette disposable. I'm not sure what it was called but it was very similar to the Sensor. Two blades, pivoting head, lube strip. I was pretty impressed. I'd love to find a pivoting head disposable with only one blade. I'm not sure one exists but whatever this little guy was that I used this morning I am very hopeful hopeful. Not nearly as much burn from my alcohol-based spash and the shave seemed a littel closer. I figure I can use one of these twice before the leading edge dulls and results in ingrown hairs. We'll see.