" What Is The Best Safety Razor For A Beginner "

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rgarr, Jul 7, 2009.

1. rgarr

rgarr Senior moments member

Thanks guys!

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Well then since you are set on an Gillette adjustable, I would recommend the Fatboy, and start at about a 2 or 3 on the dial to start. Their weight and balance make them great for using and learning a no pressure technique.

As for blades, that one is very much up for grabs, since what works for me may not be right for you. Have a Wal-Mart nearby? Many people are just fine using the Made in the USA house brand Personna's they sell there, but really a sample pack is always recommended to help you find the right blade. West Coast Shaving and Connaught Shaving are 2 places to get some great sample packs if needed.

Hope that helps!

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Good point dridecker.

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I've got to respectfully disagree here. For me, Derby's are crap. Go with a sharp blade with low drag (Gillette 7 O'clock yellows or blacks) and you'll be set. Bill's thoughts about a blade sampler are right on the money.

5. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Here is why everyone is recommending a sampler pack: The complaint that Tom has about Derby blades, I have about Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows. For me the Yellows pull and give a very rough shave. Though, like Tom, a lot of people love them. This is one area where personal experience is best. Go with that sampler pack.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

You must have posted this while I was typing out my reply. See great minds really do think alike. :signs001

Jeremy is correct. :signs107

Tom is right too. :signs107

Freddy is correct also. :signs107

Get my point? Every one has been correct so far. There is no way anyone can guarantee what blade will be right for you. Even the same blade will work differently in different razors. Derby's are a fine example, I have some and they are crap in my Red Tip SS, but when I put them in my Clix razor, that is my goto combo for the day after a rough shave when I want a nice smooth mild shave.

7 O'clock yellows? I don't like them, but my 16 y.o. son absolutely loves them, greatest blade ever made as far as he is concerned!

See what I'm saying? The choice of blades is just such a <looks around for Ray> YMMV thing that a sample pack is really the way to go.

7. rgarr

Thanks, I'll get the sample pack of blades and try the Fatboy!

8. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Whatever place you decide to get the sample pack from I suggest that you get the biggest sample pack you can afford.

I would also suggest that you look at Squire's Blade Reviews at Shave My Face. He has done a lot of testing on quite a few blades. Here is a link
    Squire's Blade Reviews

Good luck with your adventure into DE shaving.

9. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Good luck to you and enjoy that shave. ;)

10. rgarr

Thanks for the link!