My Gillette Gold Nuggets

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CatMan, Jul 10, 2009.

1. CatMan

CatMan Member

Hi everybody,
    I'm back. After 18 moths of exclusively using straights, - I was too stupid to get comfortable shaves with a DE in the beginning -, I'm back in the DE camp. Applying what I learned using the straights to the DEs, I get perfect shaves now, close and comfortable. Recently I thought (as so often before), arriving at the Mergress was the end of the line. It can't get any better. Well, that was before my father-in-law gave me his dad's old Gillette "New", which was in a rather poor condition. I cleaned, polished and re-plated it. (The right one in the first photo below). The shave with it was pretty impressive! This was my very first legacy DE. Now I got interested. What else in this league can we score on eBay? So I found another "New" with a different handle that only needed minor re-plating, a Gillette Tech in perfect condition for only little over $7(!), and a Fatboy in rather decent condition, which I just cleaned, and plated. Plating was a little tricky in this case, but the second attempt gave an OK result. Old DEs are a whole new world for me. Interesting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Very nice collection there. Welcome back! I'm partial to gold DE's myself.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow, those are some good looking razors, nice work! :signs107

4. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thanks, guys!
    I also bought the Merkur 15C, which I believe is a German attempt to copy the Gillette New. While it's a pretty good shaver, I like the original better. The Gillette Tech reminds me of the Weishi. As with the Weishi one has to get the angle just right, somewhat steeper than other razors, and even then the shave is very mild. I found the Gillette Tech a lot easier to master than the Weishi.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Wow! Nice collection there! I'm not a big fan of replating, personally, but to each their own. And I must say, they really do look great! :happy088

Never tried a Weishi, but I'd have to agree that the Tech is probably one of the most mild shavers out there. I love mine. And I really dig that handle on the NEW - the one on the left. I've never seen that before (or at least from this angle it's hard to tell)- what model/style is it?

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Looks like perhaps that handle is from a Star. Looks very sharp replated and with the NEW head, but then again they all look great.

7. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Really cool collection and I bet that you can get cool shaves from them.

8. Moe

Moe Active Member

Very nice collection of gold. I'm sliding the vintage direction my self. I really like my Merkur HD and Slant,,,,, but am getting incredible shaves with a gillette OLD type,,,,,, with less work than the other razors.

Again, very nice collection. I may at some point be interested in replating an older razor,,,,,,,, any pointers of where in the yellow pages to look to find this type of service?

Thanks,

Moe

9. CatMan

CatMan Member

I don't know really where to find this kind of service. Electro plating, jewelers, maybe? I inherited the plating equipment from my late business partner. My results are rather unpredictable. There are many ways to screw up a razor this way, which is why I would not dare to work on someone else's DE. Just keep in mind: plating will not cover dirt, rust, etc. Whatever is shiny before plating has a good chance to be that way afterwards. Whatever is not shiny, stays this way, as you can see by looking at the outer right Gillette New on the photo. I didn't want to remove too much metal before plating and left it somewhat "scratchy". The head of this razor is solid copper, the handle part copper, part brass.
    If buying your own plating equipment is an option, they sell around $500.

10. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Absolutely beautiful! The NEW is one of my favorite razors and I get some fantastic shaves with it. I use one at home and one for travel. There is a reason it has such a strong following. :D