Inexpensive After Shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jimmyfingers, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I have ordered a Gillete 47 ss, proraso shaving cream, trumpers violet shave soap, israli personna blades, feather blades. None have arrived yet, but I am looking for an inexpensive after shave until I can save up enough money for trumpers skin food or nancy boy. Preferably someplace that has free shipping or little samples.

I really cant spend more than 10 dollars. I really feel I need an after shave since i have highly sensitive skin. Im a little nervous about shaving when my stuff arrives and not having an after shave.

Thank you in advance for your professional opionions.

Will

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Will,

Go to a drugstore and pick up a bottle of Pinaud Clubman. It will sting a little but it subsides and the result is very nice, even for sensitive skin.

Alternatively, get a sample of The Shave Den's aftershave milk to try. I think even with the shipping, it should fall into your budget.

3. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Just like the good advice above....I am partial to the TSD milk but also cheap and probably available locally (where are you) a bottle of Acqua Velva, Old Spice, Pinaud, Nivea, etc. All have different scents, formulas, what not.

Since you said you have highly sensitive skin, I would recomend the TSD Milk unscented or I think Nivea has a sensitive formula. Quite a few on here do use the Nivea.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Nivea works well for sensitive skin. If there's a dollar general (or its equivalent) near where you live you could pick up some very cheap knock offs. I regularly use a brut knockoff that's made under the Flag and Sail label. I have fairly sensitive skin and it doesn't cause any problems for me. It sells for less than $2 so you're not out much if it doesn't work for you.

5. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I knew you were "him" with a different user name. :happy102

6. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I really see no point in spending bucko bucks for a high class aftershave.

In addition to the already mentioned Aqua Velva, and Brut/ Old Spice generics available at Family Dollar, I have had great success with "Gillette Series Sensitive ASB". It's available locally for me at roughly $2.00 per container.

Bath and Body Works sells the C.O. Bigelow line, and they have some very nice ASB as well. They are $10 per container, when not on sale.

Lastly, though I have not used it myself, the classic Mennen "Skin Bracer" seems to have a following here as well.

7. selhov

selhov New Member

will ,you have hade some great advice from some of the guys , have you thought about going to a large department store and trying out some fragrances in store from one of the girl,s explain your skin type,give the chat i do and before you now it you,r coming home with a bag of free samples that keep,s you going all for free.good luck,

8. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

Not to mention, it's an opportunity to interact with a likely very attractive woman, likely dressed in a revealing top. lol. :happy102:happy102

9. selhov

selhov New Member

OK,FAIR COP MICHIGANLOVER YOU,R ON THE BALL,WELL IT WORK,S:happy102:happy102

10. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Aqua Velva is great. It is even better after a shave with Proraso.

you will be a little ::kar when it first goes on. After a very short time you will be :happy036

11. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

I really like the idea of going to the dept store. Beautiful woman helping me with my skin for free+ free samples. I also am very tempted to try TSD aftershave milk. It looks very reasonable with all the good indredients. Im looking for an aftershave lotion so all the liquids are out. Im going to buy a thing of aqua velva however for the proraso shave. Thanks for the help everyone. Keep the great suggestions coming.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Don't listen to the Hairy Aqua Velva Ogres Club (HAVOC), the stuff is just a bad batch of bug spray mixed with Windex and a touch of glycerin.

If you want inexpensive aftershave, I'd put TSD splash and milk as a first choice. After that, Pinnaud products (Clubman, Lime Sec, or Bay Rum), and acceptable are Skin Bracer and Nivea. Nivea is likely more than acceptable for most, but I don't get along with balms very well.

This message brought to you by a proud member of the Anti-Velva Citizens League (A.V.C.L.)

13. Markwtb

Markwtb Member

I like Aqua Velva Musk. It may sting a little. The bottle on the right is a mixture of one-half Aqua Velva Musk and the other half is an unscented face balm. I enjoy the mixture of the two since I get less alcohol sting and the moisturizing of the balm.

Get some Boosters after shave later- very little if any sting for sensitive faces.

Attached Files:

14. freddy88

freddy88 Member

I'm not sure why liquids are out but if you are willing to try one, pick up a bottle of Thayer's non-alcoholic witch hazel. It comes in non-scented as well as scents like lemon, peach, lavender, rose, and cucumber. It is very refreshing. A lot of men here at TSD use witch hazel (both alcohol and non-alcohol varieties) as an after shave on a regular basis. Thayers can be found in health food stores but I think the small sample bottles are only found on line at their site, www.thayers.com. Unfortunately, their sampler pack is about $24.00 when shipping is included. Individual large bottles, though, fit into your price range and can be had locally.

You should be fine with that '47 SS. I have one and it is one of my favorite razors. I don't find it nearly as aggressive as some others.

Whatever you decide, good luck. ;)

15. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Thats a bit harsh is'nt it Erik :happy013

16. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Good look on the witch hazel. I forgot about that one. I am going to order it now. The reason I said liquids are out is because I have never used them. Since I am on such a limited budget being a student and all I know I am already safe with the balms. Dont worry, once I build up my collection it will have a little bit of everything.

17. Magnus6208

Magnus6208 New Member

+1

18. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Well just an update on what im going with.

1. TSD aftershave milk-i really like what it is composed of.
    2. witch hazel-

it looks like im still going to end up spending more than I would like too but im obsessed with this stuff so Im justifying my reasons

19. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Jimmy,

If money (or lack of it) really is a consideration then slow up and use what you have. You will be getting some excellent gear and the fact that you are getting a soap and cream plus two different kinds of blades plus TSD after shave and witch hazel will give you the opportunity to vary your shaving routine.

However, may I suggest that you get used to one setup before switching around. For example, stick with the IP blade in the '47 SS and the soap until you are comfortable with them. This may take a week or two (or even a bit longer). This will give you a chance to learn the nuances of these products as you fine tune your shaving technique.

Once you are comfortable with that setup the fun begins. Discover that cream! Discover those Feathers! Discover other blades you are curious about! (A great inexpensive way to do that is to get a sample pack from a place like http://www.westcoastshaving.com).

Again, get comfortable with what you already have. Trust me, there will always seem to be a new must have in this shaving hobby of ours. If the product is good it will still be there when you can more easily afford to purchase it.

As always, enjoy your shaves. ;)

20. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Hey Freddy,

Thanks for the response. You read my mind. My next question was since I haven't started shaving yet should I stick to the same ingredients each day or should I switch them up. I believe I got my answer.

Will