Inexpensive After Shave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jimmyfingers, Jul 15, 2009.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

dont forget the Bay Rum ............:love055

2. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Glad to help. Sorry I didn't realize your name was Will. :( I was basing the Jimmy on your user name. Again, sorry. :o

3. Magnus6208

Magnus6208 New Member

For the money, this is my favorite all around after shave. Absolutely love it.

4. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Freddy gives you good advice on staying with the same setup for awhile in my opinion This is based on my personal experience. I stuck with the same setup for a month. It was hard but it definitely helped me get my technique down.

5. Garden Street USA

Garden Street USA New Member

Corn Huskers Lotion

You mentioned Trumper's Skin Food. Well, Corn Huskers Lotion is "the poor man's Skin Food." It has almost the exact same ingredients as the much more expensive Trumper's. All that is missing is the scent, really. I swear by Corn Huskers Lotion as an inexpensive post-shave balm/moisturizer. A little goes a long way...just a tiny bit to a damp face.

6. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Its going to be hard as hell for me to stick to one specific regimin everyday for a month for so, but Im going to because Im very serious about this. I hate the shave i get now and despise shaving, but Im really looking foward to all my little present coming in. Ive contacted all the three T's and they are all going to send me some samples, I just have to pay the shipping.

Hey Garden State,

Is their a particular brand of Cornhuskers and where would I get this??

I dont think Ive ever seen it at any of the shaving sites.

Will

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

check IT for some really good recipes and
    CHL can be found at www.drugstore.com

CHL + AG + WH + Nivea AS Balm = milky goodness.

8. Kratos

Kratos New Member

You are in Atl, so I guess that may be Atlanta? Any Wal-Mart should have it, along with countless other pharmacy and grocery stores. I have really only seen one brand of it. All T's Skin Food is is gussied-up Corn Huskers.

Aqua Velva is great, if you can stand the st--scent. I can't, so I use the less potent Ice Sport, as opposed to the much-lauded Ice Blue. Much less menthol in the Sport, which I will soon rectify.

9. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Corn Huskers Lotion is the brand. I do not believe there are any variations. It is my go to lotion for the whole body including the face. Goes on like a gel but drys quickly so no slimy slick feeling that other lotions give me. Great on sunburns too!

10. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Dollar General stores have Barbasol Brisk aftershave for under $2.00. Really nice stuff that I use regularly. Might fit the bill for you

11. Garden Street USA

Garden Street USA New Member

Corn Huskers Lotion

Corn Huskers Lotion is the name and brand. I get mine at my local CVS, but you can order in online. Just Google it. Also, Amazon sells it. Like everyone said, Coral Skin Food is just gussied up Corn Huskers. I use it more as an aftershave lotion than an actual hand lotion. It's Oil-Free. Remember though, a little goes a long way, so when you apply to a DAMP face post-shave only use a small amount, otherwise (and this is also the case with Trumper's Skin Food) it can get really cake-y on the face. Little is best. Mike in Hoboken

12. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

From my experience, all the Pinaud products are excellent. I guess they are not as popular as the latest $20 bottles of aftershave, as many of the Pinaud products were created over 100 years ago. But there is a reason they are still around.

13. scooby074

scooby074 New Member

Cheap AS. I like Aqua Velva Original Sport! Burns a bit but thats how you know its working!!:D:D

Another good recommendation is the Boosters lime much more mild than the AV. Cheap too ($8 CDN). Actually the boosters lime and AV OS are quite similar in scent. I decant the AV and mix it 50/50 with Boosters to mellow out the AV.

About the best thing (besides price) that the AV has going for it is availability,. Its available pretty much everywhere, where the Boosters is limited.

14. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Corn Husker Lotion & Aqua Velva Classic

Recently purchased some Corn Husker's Lotion at Walmart (not in the shaving section but over by the first aid stuff (isopropyl alcohol, generic WH, and hydrogen peroxide) Good stuff for sure.

AND contrary to the blaspheme contained in this very thread Aqua Velva Classic is mana from heaven and a 7 ounce bottle can be had for around $5

15. freddy88

freddy88 Member

YMMV :happy102

16. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Yes, insects LOVE it and will flock to you.

17. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Im in the process of trying to get Trumpers sample pack. They no longer offer the Skin Food as samples, but I have been emailing them and they are going to sub the 3 body washes with 3 skin food.

My g.f. bought me some Crabtree and E Nomad after shave balm today for around 5 dollars I believe. I am looking forward to testing it out. This is probably cheaper than buying the Corn huskers and other ingredients for the skin food.

I am also going to purchase some witch hazel sometime soon. I have read conflicting reports the thayers isnt real witch hazel. Only the Dickinsons is.
    Do any members have a comment about this?

18. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Traditionally, most witch hazel has an alcohol content. Many, but not all, of Thayers
    witch hazels are alcohol free. They all, however, contain witch hazel. What the percentage of witch hazel there would have to be in a bottle to be "real", I don't know. The house brand of witch hazel I have from Target lists witch hazel as 86% and alcohol as 14%. Thayers Original Witch Hazel lists alcohol at 10% with other ingredients, most of which seem to be witch hazel. My small bottle doesn't give the witch hazel percentage.

19. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I too see no point spending money on splash aftershaves as they all do one thing and drugstores carry very agreeably priced- and -scented options.

IMO, Pinaud's Clubman is the best-scented, most versatile.

If you want menthol, go with Aqua Velva Classic. Glass bottle, nice scent.

If you want a menthol that smells like a faint trace of baby powder, go with Skin Bracer.

I avoid milks and ASBs altogether, opting to use splash - which feels incredible applied to a freshly-shaved face - then following up with inexpensive moisturizer, also drugstore-bought (Vaseline's Intensive Care Moisture Locking Lotion, Unfragranced, in my case).