Treet "Blue Steel"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TraderJoe, Jul 12, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Glad you liked them, bud :happy088

Yep, I have those too. But haven't gotten around to them yet. I am literally "swimming" in double edge blades :rofl

Haven't noticed any problems yet....and have had the blade "out" for over a week.

2. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The second shave with the Treet carbon steel was equally good. I was watching for any variance, and there may have been some slight tugging---but the shave is BBS and it was a pleasure. I'll use it again tomorrow. But even if it lasts just two shaves, it's most cost effective than using the Feathers for four: in bulk, Treet 11.5¢ per blade, Feathers 24.5¢ per blade.

No rust. I rinse off the razor in hot water at the end of the shave, give it a good shake or three, and put it out to dry.

BTW, every time I use D.R. Harris shaving soap, whether in a bowl or as a shave stick, I think "Man! What GREAT lather!" :)

I notice that this particular blade is found in the large sampler pack but not in the other two.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You're absolutely right, I feel the same way about the DR Harris. As for the "english" soaps....I have only one DR Harris soap, and two Trumper. But I wish instead that I had Three DR Harris.

I'll have to try the stick. Is it a similar formula, Michael?

4. Smedley

Smedley New Member

The DR Harris cream is one of the best on the market as well. I will definitely have to pick up a soap or two.

5. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

So far as I can tell, the stick is the same soap: I get the same luxurious lather. I do like a shaving stick...

Shave three on the Treet Blue Special (it's official name, as someone pointed out to me). Still sharp, still smooth. Great shave, feels good.

I did note a little rust: not on the blade, but where the razor rested on one end. No rust on the edge, though, and---as I said---still a great shave. Monday I'll go for shave number 4.

6. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

It just occurred to me that I could blast the razor with a hair dryer after using it and prevent any rust.

7. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Placed an order for a 1 pack each of the Treet's + 1 pack each of the Astra's + 1 pack of GEM SE's (gotta try out the Gem Micromatic which SWMBO found in a junk drawer or junk box out in the garage a few days ago).

Tried faxing the order to Tryhon but my HP fax machine isn't working. Prehaps it is dead of very old age. Anyhoo, emailed Giovanni that my fax broke & that I was just gonna snail-mail my order to him.

He replied that he was going to be out of town all next week so he was going to ship my order out BEFORE he received payment. Now, NOTE well, I've never ordered from
    him before & he doesn't know me from ADAM....

Yikes, don't know about you guys but I sure a heck wished that I got the same level of CUSTOMER SERVICE from brick's 'n mortar stores that I've been
    getting from Wet-Shave E'tailers !!!!

I just can't praise Charles/QED & Gio/Tryphon Barbiera Italiana & other's enough for SUPERB SERVICE. I for one sure do appreciate it, alot !!! In fact, I like spending
    money with business's like these.

I'm a long time & very very loyal Nordstrom's customer - not because they were cheapest (they aren't) or have big sales (2 a year & that's it) but because their attitude toward customer's & treating their customer's like royalty...But am thinking that Charles & Gio even have Nordie's beat...

Hmmm....now if they just sold clothe's 'n shoe's 'n.....

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Rust prevention:

(plastic)

[​IMG]

9. fritz

fritz New Member

You're only about 50 miles apart... Don't pay, he'll send Guido after you...:D:D

10. fritz

fritz New Member

First shave report

Finally decided to use the Treet Blue first in my Slant (my closest shaver, since my Vision is off to Merkur being replaced). Used Surrey (peach) DeLuxe soap (extra glycerin added) with Proraso pre-shave, after Noxzema scrub and shower. No hot towels.

I deliberately used less prep than I normally do. With my normal prep, the whiskers are usually so softened that with a Feather in my Slant, I don't hear any shaving sound (it's almost as if I forgot to put a blade in the razor). With a little less prep, I could hear them being nicely sliced.

I got a nice shave. BBS, in fact. No blood, no irritation. Three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) and quite a bit of touch-up. Now that it's well after 3 pm, I can just barely begin to feel a little stubble on my chin. I'm impressed with the smoothness, although it did take me more time to get the BBS shave than with a Feather. In fairness, I did less prep than usual so I could challenge the blade a little more, so that's understandable.

I will of course hold judgment until at least one more shave from this blade (if comfortable) and the second blade. I'll probably go with my usual prep for next shaves.

I am going out of town for a few days, so I think I will put off further evaluation until I return. I'll be packing only my minimum, "old reliable" shaving gear, and don't want this to influence the blade review. I've removed the blade and stored in a sealed Anchor-Hocking bowl under 99% isopropyl alcohol to prevent rust.

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Man, you don't mess around, do you ? :D

Thanks for the review! Glad they're working for you too.

12. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

Thats PRECISELY why I am PAYING !!! This Goomba wants a self-shave not a Guido Shave!

13. fritz

fritz New Member

Well, I thought about using a mayonnaise jar and leaving it on Funk & Wagnall's front porch, but decided that was overkill...:rofl

14. Zachster

Zachster Member

Hermetically sealed, of course!

15. fritz

fritz New Member

Still not a Mayonnaise Jar, but...

Well, my travel plans are on hold at least for today (high water & rain around San Antonio).:sad029 So I just had to do this, couldn't help it!

Attached Files:

16. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Very nice! Now you need one for Pickled Pigs Feet and Pickled Eggs. :D

17. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Going back to what I said earlier. I used one of the Treet Blues today. Loaded it into my Futur, and received one of my best shaves ever:D I know that its results that count.....but the blue blade looks very cool as well!

18. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I saw two DE blade sharpeners in my travels today. Does anyone use one? Or a rolls razor?

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Nah, they're cheap enough I just toss them

20. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

+1