Essentials

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by IsaacRN, Jul 15, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Well...here it goes

Ive never been much of a, what do you want for christmas type of guy. Anything i wanted i usually just go out and buy. But since discovering all this wet shaving i will definately have alot to ask for.

What are the definate things to add to my collection that is not in my shop atm (creams/as/balms/etc) Im also gonna ask for a DE. What is something for a newb. Ive never shaved with a DE and will use it as a clean up for my straight.

Go wild

Isaac

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Razor:
    Gillette SuperSpeed (1940-ish) or
    Merkur HD

Brush:
    Crabtree and Evelyn Best Badger Brush

Sampler pack of blades
    Aqua Velva Classic AS Splash
    KissMYFace Unscented cream (you can add this to any bad mix and itll save it for ya)

Ill think of other stuff and add later.....

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Here goes...the basics first:

Ditto on the Superspeed or the HD
    Any of Mama Bear's soaps
    Ditto on the C&E Best Badger Brush

After that, the sky's pretty much the limit. This whole wetshaving thing is very much about personal preferences. Sometimes that's hard to translate into stuff that other people can get for you (IMO). Hardware (razors, brushes) is pretty easy. You'll figure out pretty quick what you like and don't like.

When it come to creams, soaps and scents, that's tougher. Once you find a range or brand that you like, then tell folks to get stuff from that list.

4. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I could live soley on:

Merkur HD
    C&E BBB
    MB Soaps

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Where could i pick up a good Gillete Super Speed or the Merkur HD.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Check out the vendor section. Merkur HDs can be foud on Classic Shaving, Vintage Blades, Lee's Razor and a host of other places. The Superspeed wil be tougher to find.

7. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

For a DE wait until a mint Sticky comes up and go after it with all guns blazing. They are definitely an acquired taste, but if you take to them then they are unbeatable. Relatively rare, superbly engineered as well as rather attractive (as far as DE's go anyway.

Soaps:
    T&H and Mitchell's are the best performing soaps currently available IMO. Not much to write home about scent wise, but as far as lathering and overall shave performance they are top notch.
    DR Harris and Penhaligon's soaps are also two to consider.
    Other than that get any French soap you can find: L'Occitance, Martin de Candre, Pre de Provence, Provence Sante and R&G are all brilliant.

8. Xert

Xert New Member

Superb advice. Where it seems you're really lacking is in the aftershave department. I'd recommend C&E's balm in whatever scents you prefer, and Baxter's and Musgo Real are absolutely indispensable.

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

What? No Anherb? :D

10. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

LOL...from the looks of RN's BarberShop he only needs the Merkur HD and the "sampler" pax of blades !!!! So for $40 - $50 he'll be in DE heaven

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

As was mentioned, there are several qualtiy vendors that carry the HD. As for the Superspeed, your best is a local antique shop, or Ebay. There are some nice specimens to be had there, but don't overpay.

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

As long as Santa is treating, you might as well swing for the fences:

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

AND

[​IMG]

The brush & stand alone are $310.

They also have an aftershave splash I've been meaning to try, and talcum powder.

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Ummm...Santa isnt that generous with a thirty year old. His magic is reserved for younger kids :p

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I guess that means you can't hear the sleigh bell ringing anymore. :(

15. Xert

Xert New Member

Well, I did try and limit my options to ones that I'd tried...If someone wants to send me their bottle I'll be sure and get back to Isaac ASAP! :rofl

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Oh I can hear those bells....:D

17. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

More straights, some honing stones, and every guy needs a good Simpson brush. Maybe a nice Duke or Chubby :D

18. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

you know..i thought about another brush....but im so happy with my Savile.i dont know that i want one atm.

19. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I could survive on:

Merkur HD
    Mitchell's Woolfat Soap
    Shavemac Pure Badger Brush
    Gillette Blue Silver Blades
    Anherb Aftershave Conditioner
    Floid Genuine Aftershave Splash

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You left off De Vergulde Hand :D