Any witch hazel substitute?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Compa, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Compa

Compa Member

Well, I went to the mall (closer to work) and couldn't find anything... so I started to look at the skin care products reading the ingredients of those that look like water.
    I found one that had "Virginal Hamamelis Extract"... I bought it

It said in the front side that it is an astringent formula, I didn't know what that was so I look for it and found this:
    "An astringent (also spelled adstringent) substance is a chemical that tends to shrink or constrict body tissues, usually locally after topical medicinal application."
    and also this
    "Astringente o estíptico es cualquiera de las sustancias que con su aplicación externa local (tópica), retraen los tejidos y pueden producir una acción cicatrizante, anti inflamatoria y anti hemorrágica."

And on both pages there were pictures of alum crystal with the note "Alum, an astringent" so I guess I made a good buy.
    Yesterday I applied it to my skin after a splash of cold water, then I applied my aftershave balm.
    So far, the area that was irritated does not show any kind of damage nor pimples n_n /happy, maybe it is thanx to the astringent or maybe I changed something without noticing it... whichever is the case I'm happy and I'll use it next time again.

2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

An astringent is exactly what you wanted :)

I guess "Virginal" could also be translated as "Virginian" and the genus of hamamelis in question is Hamamelis virginiana

3. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I use Witch Hazel as a final cleanser after the shave, cleaning out any tiny bits of stubble or lather off the skin to help avoid ingrown hairs, acne, shave rash, etc. It *is* very effective for those prone to those conditions: I have many messages and emails confirming that.

Some brands of Witch Hazel do not smell very good (Dickenson's "blue" formula is the prime example). Other brands have little or no scent, or are scented with more pleasant additives (e.g. Thayers).

--Mark

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks Mark. I'm prefer alum due to scent, but that's my preference only. For many of us one of the two is needed. I'm happy to finally have my acne under control, it was rather embarrassing having acne and a balding head. I did embraced the hair loss and shaved my head, but that's another conversation.

5. Compa

Compa Member

Mantic replied on my thread!
    I feel so special :>

6. MikeND

MikeND New Member

Well I knew I didn't like the Merkur's - and just recently tried the Dorco 301's - both are now in the 'do not use' column.:eek:

7. Will

Will Nevermind

The 1800's I think. From what I read WH and bay rum were the aftershaves to be had at that time.

8. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

I am not trying to hyjack this thread, but is there anything that helps to get rid of an ingrown hair that is already there? Did not know where else to look or ask, Thanks!

9. Compa

Compa Member

10. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

11. Compa

Compa Member

Glad I could help :)