WEISHI

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by kevinxu, Aug 31, 2009.

1. kevinxu

kevinxu New Member

A friend offered me a Weishi razor to start out with and try. Any thoughts on trying this, or should I look to start off with a higher quality razor?

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Weishi is an excellent and proper razor, with extreme gentleness. If you are just beginning DE shaving, it is your best razor, because if you should make a mistake, you won't nick or cut yourself. There is no aggressiveness at all from a Weishi, however, you will find that you have to do at least 3 passes to get good and smooth.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Great razor to learn with!
    Quality is not that bad.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Weishi is much higher quality than the price point. It is priced on the edge between what I consider "standard" DE razors and economy DE razors, but I'd say quality wise it belongs more in a discussion with Merkur than other cheap Chinese razors. It is a very mild shaver, but unless you have an extremely tough, thick beard you can get a BBS close shave using good technique. If you decide to buy one, Dark's Blade Supply on Ebay has great deals. In particular if you get one of the nicer finishes with the nicer travel case.

5. magic

magic New Member

The Ming Shi is not bad either. Seems to be good quality. I got one recently and it shaves very nicely.

I think Jeff uses one

6. crackstar

Eric, my beard is very heavy and tough, but still I manage very close and smooth shaves with a Weishi, although I must to say it takes longer than with a Ming Shi, which is also very gentle, or a Parker 22R, which is considerably more aggressive. :)

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've heard mixed reaction from people with heavy beards who try a Weishi. Some agree with you and others claim they can't get as smooth as they like. By personal experience I'll say an average beard is no problem. If I had a very heavy beard, I think a vintage Super Speed or vintage Gillette adjustable (Fatboy, Slim, or Super) would be a safer investment. After saying all of that, the Weishi doesn't seem to get the appreciation it deserves. I think that comes from poor quality on most Chinese made razors and a bias against low cost products by some people.

8. freddy88

freddy88 Member

+1

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

it's free. it's gentle. and it's a common razor you can use to form a baseline comparison for what you like and dislike. I say take the offer.

10. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

:sihns011

And I like to add that its not just gentle.. Its GENTLE.. very much so..
    Ill kinda want to say "get a Merkur instead".. But as a starter it should be good..

11. CatMan

CatMan Member

The Weishi only cuts right if you get exactly the right angle. Once you master it, you will not have any problem to find the correct angle with any other DE very quickly. Enjoy!

12. ChemErik,

+1 on your comment!

Catman,

You are right! If I can comment? Depending on what weishi you get. I have the lower economy weishi and when I offered to some friends, they ware cutting themselves a lot. I asked them what type of razor they used before and they said it was the FUSION. I guess the technique stayed with them and I explained that it is a different method of shaving. Now they are getting the hang of it, with less cuts on faces. Its funny though, since they are nicking themselves with the ST301.

Weishi would be a good starter razor, compare to others. I found it on my side as well, not only a seller but a user on a weekly basis.

Hope this helps ;).

Dark

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Kevin, If you decide to buy one of those Weishi's, Dark has the best prices and good service. Just use the link is his signature.

14. crackstar

I enjoy a lot the Weishi I have--but which blade would you recommend for a real close shave?

15. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For a close shave with the Weishi, I like the Astra Superior Platinum, Silver Star, or Dorco ST-301. All three get close on me and are extremely smooth. Somehow, feathers and 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge blades are very harsh. The Dorco might not be sharp enough for a really tough beard, but should be fine for most faces.

16. Will

Will Nevermind

I disagree, I had (or still have) one and do not find the quality that good, more of a get what you pay for type razor. I would rather one learn on a Tech, Super Speed, or Merkur. Spend the few dollars more to get a better razor.

17. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

+1. Weishi's are too mild to be considered a razor period. Full stop!:D

18. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

Agreed 100% , hit the classified or eBay for a superspeed if you want a mild well made razor.

19. houlejames

houlejames Member

Can't beat free. If it doesn't work out give it back to him, and you'll have a better idea of what you want.