Single Edge vs Double Edge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D Pflaumer, Sep 13, 2009.

1. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

So... I've been using a DE razor for over a year now, and I've got the shave (in my opinion) perfected. Is there anything to be gained and/or more challenging about using a Single Edge razor? I know a lot of guys on these forums love them, and I love the look. It just seems inferior to me for some reason...

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Unless one type gives an irritating shave, it all comes down to preference. :D

MR41 and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. rainman

rainman New Member

Double Edge:
    Much higher variety of Razors and blades.
    Blades Cheap.
    Half the time of rinsing razor out

Single Edge:
    Razors cheap

If you want to try something new it wouldn't cost much for you to explore into the world of SE. Get some blades at the drug store and spend $10 or $12on a razor here or on the bay.

There is also huge variety in DE itself. Long/short handle, huge differences in weight, safety bar, open comb, slant, adjustable, new or old.

MR41, Carbide Mike and 178-bplatoon like this.
  4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

You haven't really shaved until you have learned to master the SE razor. Especially the vintage lather catcher style.

I would suggest that you find a GEM or GEM Jr that was patented in 1912. Very common and easily found in the B/S/T forum. Also get your self some decent blades. Go for the GEM SE blades by Personna. Most of the chain pharmacies will have them. They are the same blad as the highly aclaimed Ted Pella SE blades.

Good Luck, Hope you will give an SE razor a good chance to please you.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

The shave that can be had with the SE is only rivaled by the shave of a straight IMHO. Well worth the time needed to master the SE razor.

Viva La Revolution! ::sesel

6. freddy88

freddy88 Member

With all due respect Pam, Fuzzy, and Possum, it still all comes down to preference. There are those who swear by Gem open comb Micromatic SE's (to name one) and those who swear at them. There are those who love Merkur slant DE's (to name one) and those who loathe them. My preference is usually for one of my DE's but I always enjoy my GEM SE when I use it. To say unequivocally that an SE is better than a DE, or vice versa, does them both a disservice. Good DE's and SE's can be found inexpensively enough that anyone can afford to try both and make up his or her own mind. :)

Carbide Mike and PLANofMAN like this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thank you, Freddy. Very well said.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

I believe you guys have convinced me to at least give a SE a chance. Of course I'm getting my first straight this week, so it might take me a while to get to the actually purchase and use of a SE, but I think there will be one in my future. Recommendations for at/under $20?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

wow. im sold. excellent comparision.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

I can get an irritation free shave more easily from a Gem with a single edge Personna blade than I can from most any combination of DE razor and blade. The same goes for an injector. I can get good shaves from DE's, too, but I'm much more sensitive to razor and blade combos - whereas the single edge just works.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  11. Queen of Blades

2 sides to shave with versus 1. Half the time.
    Yes, it is. An excellent basic comparison. :happy088

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Ive been wetshaving since the end of July and I find that I love the Gem. I also have quite a few ever ready that I love. It is a lot easier to mow down whiskers Ive found with a SE. I probably have about 15 Gems and Ever readys that I got off ebay dirt cheap. .99 for a few of them.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

DE or SE? Fortunately I have both, use both, and enjoy both. Both give me very good shaves. One over the other? I'm just glad I don't HAVE to choose!

DesertTime and Carbide Mike like this.
  14. Compa

Compa Member

Why is that? I have seen SE only in photos and as far as I saw on those photos, they are like a double edge... with only 1 edge. Why are they better? :confused:
    From my untrained point of view they should do the same job and it would be just a matter of taste.

Carbide Mike and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. Queen of Blades

It takes half the rinsing time total. 1 stroke with a SE, rinse. 1 stroke with a DE, flip, take 2nd stroke, rinse.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. UncleShakey

UncleShakey New Member

SE vs DE

The DE blade is stiffer than the SE. You go slower and more carefully than with a DE you are familiar and comfortable but the SE will remove better and give a closer shave than a DE. Its the next thing to a str8. Just remember go slow and careful like you would with a str8. You will love it.

17. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

I definitely didn't expect this kind of response! But I'm glad I got it. Straight razor shaving is the next on the list of things to conquer, but judging from the response here, I won't be able to put off a SE forever. Which is good, I see them for sale cheap all the time, and they look awesome. Thanks everyone :D

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I surely couldn't just lurk on this thread. I'll preface my remarks by being forthcoming with the fact that my starter razor was a Micromatic Open Comb and for much of my wetshaving career it was strictly a single edge show. My rotation grew with the inclusion of several 1912 Gem Jr razors and more recently SE Lather Catchers (a 1910 Gem and a 1908 Ever Ready) My slim adjustable is not now and never was on par with any of my SE razors for quality of shave, maintainability, and overall cool factor.

My SE bias has however been turned down ever so slightly with the acquisition of a NDC Bakelite Handle Tech and a 1908 Single Ring Gillette. While I regularly shave with these two, the slim adjustable still seems to be sucking hind teet behind the other clearly superior razors. I can honestly say that the single ring closely rivals all my SE razors with the possible exception of the Lather Catchers. The Tech seems to slip by on charisma alone. It's a mild little shaver that seems exceptional at nothing but overall it's a fun little razor to shave with so I use it once or twice a week. SE razors IMHO, are by far preferable to DE. The blades last longer and are more responsive to stropping. The shave itself is generally much more aggressive and (again IMHO) the experience is just far and away cooler and more enjoyable. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's a quick one; especially for someone coming from a DE wetshaving background. As has been dutifully pointed out many loyal DE users have picked up a 1912 Gem Jr. and never looked back. Having started out as a SE guy, I was just never impressed enough with any of my DE razors to become an exclusively DE shaver. If you're a DE guy wondering what the SE world has to offer check one out and see for yourself. The answer will not be costly and may at the end of the day alter your whole perception of wetshaving. As for me, I've probably got all the DE razors I will ever need. Future acquisitions will probably all be of the Lather Catcher Variety and it's not unrealistic to expect that at some time in the not too distant future my own rotation will again evolve to a SE dominated affair. I can only add three more words to this post.
    VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

MR41, Carbide Mike and rweb82 like this.
  19. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

I have to agree with you on the matter of the slim adjustable. Or any adjustable for that matter. I have 4 and I hate them all, they just can't stand up to the simple 3 piece design, or even a TTO.

Out of curiosity, I know there are several companies making DEs now (see Murkur, Edwin Jagger, Mühle), but are there any companies producing new SEs?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. D Pflaumer

D Pflaumer New Member

A sword maybe?