Beginner Fountain Pen Advice

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gatto, Sep 15, 2009.

1. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

alright I've been thinking all day about this... I appreciate the offer for the varsity but I just want to jump straight in because I am afraid of the varsity ink smearing all over me. I want a pen with a converter so I can use bottled ink and I'd like to keep it under $40-50 total including a bottle of that lefty proof ink (noodler's?) I'm a little confused though, is all noodler's ink nice and quick drying or just the swishmix ink?

also is this a pen with a converter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIC-626-Bru...in_0?hash=item5d262a2769&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    From what I understand inks are like DE blades. The variety is huge. Noodlers is a brand, then there are probably different types within the brand. Some quick drying, some not. Similar to Gillette 7 O'Clocks; 4 different kinds, all different qualities.

3. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I'm just very use to using ebay as my go to when I find a new hobby, what where would you suggest I get a pen from? also how easy is it to load up the converter with ink.

4. nofa

nofa New Member

Look at http://harmless-dilettante.blogspot.com/2008/08/noodlers.html. Noodler's makes lots of inks. The owner won't even tell how many inks his company makes.

The Queen's razor and ink simile is apt.

5. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

either one is fine for me, as long as there aren't any problems that come with using vintage. I also want one with a converter... that is if a converter is what lets you load bottled into into a pen.

6. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

well what are the other options besides works out of the box?

7. nofa

nofa New Member

Vintage pens are like vintage razors... To get a box, you usually pay for it.

8. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

oooh you mean getting an actual box for the pen... no I really don't care.

9. nofa

nofa New Member

Starting again...

What is your envisionment of a fountain pen?
    How much do you want to spend?

10. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I like clean and simple, preferably a solid color maybe with a pretty little design on it, no all over patterns of complicated criss cross designs. Something wide because that's more comfortable for me to hold. I don't like sharp lines so something that's a little rounder in it's overall profile would be nice. I'm also a bit picky so it might take a few to decide on one.

I'd prefer to stay under $30 but I can go a little over if it is justifiable.

11. nofa

nofa New Member

12. nofa

nofa New Member

13. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

14. nofa

nofa New Member

15. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

16. nofa

nofa New Member

I've never ordered from isellpens.com, nor have I owned a Hero. That said, isellpens and Hero's clones of the Parker 51 are both well regarded. I don't know much about Hero's other pens.

17. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I have a SS parker fountain pen and a converter for it that I use daily. A heavy pen available with med or fine nib. The converter lets me load Noodlers Sequoia green black ink that I like. Pen/ink/converter from Pens N More, an ebay store for around 30.00