"Break in" for new boar?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jcav01, Oct 14, 2009.

1. jcav01

jcav01 Member

Hi all. I am new to this whole thing. Up until 2 days ago, I was still using the canned gel. I ordered my first brush, an Omega 10077, it should be here tomorrow. The posts on this site were extremely helpful in guiding me... thank you. Can someone recommend a "break in"? Is it just out of the box and get to it? Should it be "seasoned"? By that I mean, should it be cleaned or treated in a particular manner prior to first use? I am sure that this question has been addressed somewhere on the site, but I could not find it. Thank you in advance for any input that anyone can provide.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

While you can use it right out of the box, the primary thing that can be a deterent is scent. Some brushes stink initially, really all but some are very mild. If it does stink, I recommend soaking it in water for about an hour, followed by washing with shampoo or dish soap. If it still has a strong odor, a soak in a borax solution may help, again followed with a wash. You'll likely still have a little bit of scent, which will go away with use.

Being a decent boar brush, it will break in as you use it. It will be a much better brush after you use it for 2-3 weeks. You don't do anything special to make this happen, it part of the normal use and drying cycle.

3. jcav01

jcav01 Member

Thank you for the advice.

4. Zach

Zach New Member

Ah, you have the Brushextraordinare;

use it in good health!

5. jcav01

jcav01 Member

I am very impressed by the quality of it. Thank you, I will!

6. FrostFirus

FrostFirus New Member

Good to know.

Thanks again from another newbie that was about to ask a similar question.

7. Zach

Zach New Member

For what it's worth, you might want to read this

8. jcav01

jcav01 Member

Fantastic. Thanks, Zach. That pretty much covered any and every question that I had!

9. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

I'd soak it in Borax+hot water first. Repeat about every year after. Use about 1teaspoon borax to 1 cup of hot water

10. jcav01

jcav01 Member

I think the soak and the shampoo killed the odor. I'm enjoying the brush!