The Minimalist Brush Stand

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by MadCapsule, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I had a small problem: I needed a stand for my brush. The stand I bought from the local apothecary was too small for the knot on my brush, a green-handled Van Der Hagen.

I didn't feel like spending a lot of time trying to find a stand that would fit such an inexpensive (and possibly cheap, time will tell) brush, so I started brainstorming about what I could use that was already on hand. I thought about cutting and bending a wire coat hanger, but wasn't in the mood for the trial and error of getting it to balance, so I decided that that would be a last resort. After a bit more thinking, I realized a few things: a) I had a couple of small rare earth magnets lying around, b) I had a drill and c) the handle of my brush is plastic.

And here is what I came up with:

I drilled a small hole in the handle of the brush. The hole was just deep enough so that the magnet would sit just about flush with the handle and narrow enough that the magnet would need to be tapped in with a hammer (to provide a good friction fit).
    [​IMG]

Then I put the other magnet on a small piece of packing tape with the attracting side facing down and taped it to the underside of the shelf above mine in the bathroom.

This is the end result:
    [​IMG]

This is an even better option than an actual stand for me, because I don't have a whole lot of room on my shelf in the bathroom (I have two roommates). It gets plenty of airflow this way, too!

Now, obviously I wouldn't recommend drilling the handle of one of the more expensive brushes, but I'm not too worried about this one.

PS- Sorry for the horrible cell phone pics.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

wonderful minimalist job.:happy096

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Makes me think about doing something similar with my Vulfix VS/5 boar. I was going to say the minimalist wouldn't use a brush stand. I dry my brushes updise down. But you found a way to keep a brush right-side up AND not have a brush stand. I like it (the magnet, not the brush).

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I've been toying with this idea for a long time, but haven't gotten the motivation to do so yet :ashamed001

great work! [​IMG]

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

BRILLIANT!!!

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

An elegant solution! I may have to do this myself...

7. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Great idea Chris,
    I'm going to try it this week.

Alan

8. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Just a quick heads-up; I had to switch to duct tape, as the clear packing tape wasn't holding up to the humidity from the shower. So, it doesn't look as nice now, but it seems to be adhering better.

I suppose I could always drill the bottom of the shelf the way I didn the handle of the brush and mount the other magnet in there, but it's not my shelf.

Good luck, guys!

9. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

maybe hot glue...should hold up in the humidity, and I wouldn't think the brush would be too much weight for it, and it should come off pretty easily if needs be

10. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Now, there's an idea. I'll give that a try if the duct tape doesn't hold up.

11. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I had some super glue and a small tube of Liquid Nails at the house, so I tried both. Both seem to be working well. I have 3 brushes hanging and I'm very happy with the set-up.

Thanks for the great idea,

Alan

12. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Glad it worked out for ya!

13. Bukowski

Bukowski New Member

Very creative.

I'm motivated to try something similar, but with a strip of magnet under the cabinet and a metal "stud" in the brush handle. A buddy of mine gave me a 4" strip of rare earth magnet that I've been wondering what to do with. Should clear the counter of brushes quite nicely.

14. Cool.

Being a safety guy, let me say a few words about rare earth magnets and razor blades...

They are not compatible.

...just be careful and aware. :)

15. mike72

mike72 Member

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I am soooo stealing your idea dude! :D

And as far as the rare earth magnets, I think regular ferrous magnets would suffice too. No need to crack the proverbial egg with a proverbial hammer unless you need to.

I would not recommend neodymium magnets however because those are professional grade and can hurt you, especially as Will stated, around razor blades. Even on their packaging (the big ones anyhow, big=a few grams worth and up...about the size of a grape and up) they warn about smashed fingers, hands, and broken bones. I imagine flying razor blades wouldn't be good.

Either way man, good thinking! I'm gonna try it tonight.

17. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

So as tape or hot glue goes, I have to say nothing beats 2 part epoxies. $3-5 done forget about it, and a bunch left over. Most are water proof, if not water proof then at the least water resistant.
    I don't think anyone here has mentioned Hard Drive magnets. they are powerful, real powerful, but not bone crushing. One did give me a baby blood blister once. If you have a hard drive you don't need just open it up there are 2 magnets in there about 2 inches X 1" x 3/8" if i remember right.
    And has anyone thought about organizing razors like this. as long as you hung them from the bottom and not the top of the razor so you don't scuff it up.

C. S. Budzi

18. noxlord

noxlord New Member

That's a pretty neat trick there.

19. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ok, I did it. Works great. I still want to improve on my design, as it was a 3 minute concoction.

Attached Files:

20. kjparker

kjparker Member

I love this idea!

I was thinking of a way to expand on it as well! In our kitchen we have a magnetic knife rail, if I were to mount one of these under the bathroom vanity, and a small piece of steel inside my brushes when I re-knot them, it should look / work great!

I love these ideas! keep them coming!