Feather REALLY wants your money.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JimR, Nov 6, 2009.

1. JimR

JimR Active Member

So the other day I was in "the big city" and figured I'd try my usual, fruitless, trawl of the cutlery section looking for shaving goods (they always seem to have a couple of brushes and Merkurs there...) and this time, there was something new.
    set.jpg
    DE stand.jpg

The new Feather All Stainless DE Safety Razor. Presented in a very elegant Japanese paper box with lovely satin inlay, it is apparently made of the purest (???) Stainless steel, by a reknowned (yet unnamed) swordsmith (what??!) and is a special edition this year.

And it's only 27,300 JPY. Or, roughly, US$300.

:eek::eek::eek:

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

wow, I like the look of the handle, but not $300 like! :D

3. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

$300 for what is essentially a stainless steel Tech. I think I might just wait for the iKon Techs to come out.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

that's a purty razor but not $300 purty...

5. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

That looks absolutely stunning , did you handle the razor ?

I wonder what could have inspired the folks at Feather to create such a masterpiece :whacky011

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

yup

7. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

:sihns011

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Maybe Feather could pull off $300 if they made something totally stunning, but honestly, it looks cheap. I do like the stand idea though. I'd pay $5 for one of those for sure. ;)

Sorry, I am a crabby sick guy.

Thanks for sharing that with us Jim!

9. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Beautiful razor but the price is way too high.
    The Portable they use to make was way cheaper and i bet same quality.

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

If that made an adjustable that took an AC blade with the same geometry as the Progress, I might be interested. But $300 even for that, I'd probably pass. For this one, I'll definitely pass. What is that round thing, a stand?

I've been using trimmed Feather ACs in my Progress and it's the best, closest, smoothest, AND safest shave I ever had. It feel so safe that I can't describe it as aggressive at all, even though I've never gotten such a close shave so consistently. I haven't tried the Classic Cobra, but reports say it pretty aggressive.

11. David6Eagle

David6Eagle New Member

Agree that $300 is too much for a new razor without diamonds embedded in the handle. Suspect the exchange rate raises the price somewhat.

12. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

It's really beautiful, but they're a bit too proud of it, no?

13. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I'll go 6.50 for the stand just to keep the crabby sick guy from coughing all over it ;)

Get better Rodd!!

14. UncleShakey

UncleShakey New Member

Embeded diamonds hell! It's not even gold.

15. JimR

JimR Active Member

When I saw it, I figured, "OK, it's a limited edition, I'd pay $50 for a limited edition just for the 'limited' part". But 27,300? No way in heck.

The stand is a nice idea, though. I'D go $7.35

16. Hiya Jim,

Been a while since I typed at you, and man............that's a purty silvery thang! The handle's ok, but I do love that head design. Looks like a Tech style, which is really appealing to me. Is that a 2 or 3 piece razor?

Thanks for posting the nice pic,

Martin

Oh..heh, I almost forgot the reason I posted. Jim, would you please buy me one? Thanks in advance.

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

It is a nice razor. Clean styling. I like! But, like the others, I no like the price.

(OK - I will go 8.50 for the stand!)

18. JimR

JimR Active Member

Hey Martin! Yeah, long time no type.

It is pretty, the head attracts me. I have no doubt it's well engineered, but no idea about 2 or 3 pieces. I'll check up on it for you.

And sure, I'll get yours in the mail just as soon as you get me the board stretcher and sky hook you promised me. ;)

19. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

For 300 I like I would want the store to let me test shave it first, right there in the store, before I drop the money. Like how C & E stores have the islands in the store with the little sink in it so you can actually sample all the lotions and potions.

20. memoryleak

memoryleak Active Member

No sale

Not even at a third the stated price. But someone with more money (credit)
    than brains will buy one for the bling factor. You know the type, drives a leased 3 series Bimmer with brake dust coating the front wheels and KFC bags spilling off the back seats. :rolleyes: