My new EJ DE89L

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sodapopjones, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

See even Mantic uses an EJ with the new head :D

2. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Yep, got it as a Christmas present. :ashamed001

--Mark

3. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Just got mine today in the mail. Had to use a new blade after another failed stropping attempt.
    Nice gentle razor. I'm not used to such a heavy razor but I know I will get used to it quickly. I got the black handle one which I did find a tad slippery when wet.

This razor is a work of art and just oozes class. I am very happy with this purchase.

4. DonR

DonR Active Member

5. Penhooligan

Penhooligan New Member

Very nice looking razor. I started out with my EJ and I'm still enjoying every shave with it.

6. jhclare

jhclare New Member

I have the Muhle R89 with the knurled handle, and I think it's definitely milder then my HD.

I've examined the heads closely and the blade exposure, gap and angle on the R89 are all less than the HD, it's quite obvious even to naked eye.

I find the HD requires more attention to blade angle.

The R89 has taken over the HD's crown, for me. I get superb shaves with it, with very little to no irritation.

John

7. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

:sihns011

8. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I came to the same conclusion. I started with a HD. I love the loading mechanism and it's a good razor. I did get good shaves with it, but when I used the Muhle R89 I was blown away by the smoothness of the shave! I used it with a Super Iridium blade and it is a perfect combination for me. Hell, I've had a shaved with the R89 and SI this morning and I feel great! It is my to go razor now!
    I couldn't get a good shave with the HD. It requires more attention to the blade angle. It's ok, but not as smooth and easy as the R89 is.

9. roboboticus

roboboticus New Member

I'm loving it too! Of course it's the only DE I've used so far aside from a Tech. I like the weight; a good deal heavier than my Tech, which allows me to really let the razor do the work on those N-S strokes.

Just curious, what does it mean to "seat" a soap?

10. 2dollaryo

2dollaryo New Member

I recon this will have to be my next razor. :happy013

11. groffjj

groffjj New Member

I was planning on going with the Merkur 34C, but after what I've been hearing about this EJ De89L I'm really considering going with it. Especially after hearing this post. I'm going to be new to DE shaving and am looking for a first razor. I may have found it here.

12. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I first bought the Merkur HD. I then bought the Muhle R89 and I love it over the HD. I would recommend the EJ since it is so similar with the R89!

13. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Love mine,been useing it awhile now with feathers.For a few bucks more I would get the Muhle with the better grip handle if I could do it over.

14. Donato

Donato Member

Which is less aggressive? EJ DE89L or Gillette Tech?

I have a light beard and need a mild, forgiving shaver. Plus I am a noob at DE shaving. I am planning to get a Gillette Tech but I'd also like to get a new DE shaver. How aggressive is the EJ DE89L compared to the Tech or Super Speed? Thanks.

15. Sodapopjones

If you want mild, go with the Tech or a 40's super speed, the 89L is more aggressive.

16. banjarman

banjarman New Member

I too have a light beard. As a beginner, I've purchased and tried a lot of old Gillettes in the last 4 months. IHMO, a fat handled tech or the even milder blue tip superspeed are excellent. I love them both. I purchased an EJ89L 2 weeks ago. The EJ is a bit more aggressive but it is VERY forgiving as well. It is a truly AMAZING razor. BTW, Best Grooming & Shaving Tools included a "free" 3 pack selection of blades with my EJ89L purchase. Kind of fun...

17. Donato

Donato Member

Well, since my original post, I have purchased these razors:
    Gillette Tech - this is too mild for me. When I use it, it is as if nothing has cut my beard.
    Gillette Slim Adjustable - I have yet to try it, as it just arrived.
    Merkur 23C Long Handle - It has not yet arrived/
    The EJ DE89L is on my list for the future, depending on how the Slim Adjustable and 23C work out.

18. Sodapopjones

What blades are you using?

Even though the Tech is a mild shaver, you should still be able to get a DFS-BBS with the proper technique, it may just require an extra pass or extended touch-up.

19. Donato

Donato Member

Red Personna - Israel. I kept the blade at a 30 degree angle to my face and followed the same technique as shown in the learning videos. I did four passes and still, nothing.

20. Sodapopjones

I'm still going to say you're not doing something right...