Wish this resource was here 30 years ago.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DarG, Dec 13, 2009.

1. DarG

DarG New Member

30 years of shaving and razor burn and blood from my neck and I finally find a razor I can use. Better late than never ... THANK YOU Shave Den!
    I have tried every disposable and cartridge razor imaginable. Several electrics and even an injector and several DE razors. Apparently the wrong DE razors. And, forget the Shick injector, I still own it and it is one of the worst on my neck. Never had any issues with my face, just my neck. Tried different techniques, you name it. Shaving every day was not happening and thankfully, my work didnt involve customer contact much and my growth is moderate so I got away with every other day. Even went to every 3rd day if my neck was still torn up. The Atra with brand name blades was the most comfortable. I was able to retire fairly young and no longer "had" to shave for appearances. I only shaved when my neck itched ... every 3 days, usually but sometimes every other day.
    I tell this story not to bore everyone but because I figure that some here can relate to it very well.

I have to thank the Shave Den for making my life a little easier. I stumbled upon the site and the razor reviews. The Weishi seemed like the logical choice. I bought one online a few weeks ago ... although I was skeptical but it was the best 20 bucks I have ever spent on anything related to personal hygene. Not one nick, cut or burn from razor rash. Although I may look a little bit scruffy from up close, I dont absolutely NEED to shave every day and Im not sure that I will. But every other day is a go, with no more worry about razor burn, blood or long term rash. My neck is still a little red after shaving but it gets red if I have an itch and scratch it. There is no sting, burn or blood and the redness is gone within an hour or two.

None of the 3 blades I have tried have given me any problem either. The Dorcos that came with the Weishi tugged a little bit and the shave wasnt super close but no problems. I got some of the Personna reds from Isreal as also suggested here and they were much more comfortable. Smoother, closer shave, although still not super close. I had also picked up a 10 pack of Personna blades from Wally mart. These are labeled made in the USA. They dont feel much different/smoother than the other Personas when shaving but they shaved me very close with no additional passes. I havent seen any reviews for them on the site. I wonder if it was a fluke that I found them.
    Anyway ... I have to admit that Im not one to get into the razor collecting that seems to be popular, or even the trying of different razors and tons of different blades. After 30 years of shaving very uncomfortably, I think I will just be happy with the Weishi ... the shave is easily close enough, comfortable and blood free. And I am thankfull, very thankfull, for the Shave Den. It hasnt been a life saver but most definitely a neck saver and I am truly greatful for this resource. Ill have to post something on those USA Personnas and see if anyone has used them.

Happy Holidays to all !!!

2. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den :signs046

Sounds like it turned out for you great :happy088

The Weishi is a great razor and you will love every second of it!!

Keep the fun with it together with your nice shaving goodies and enjoy your shaved :D

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Welcome to The Shave Den DarG! A great community of guys and gals that enjoy wet shaving, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Glad to hear that TSD was able to help you find the shave you were looking for, and thanks for posting to let us know.

Be sure to sign up for the December Newbie Give-Away for a chance to win some great shave gear!

While its not required, how about you hop over to the Newbies Section and give yourself a proper introduction thread, I'm sure you'll receive many warm welcomes from the friendly folks of this community.

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I'm glad we could help. Welcome aboard!

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! The Internet in general is a wonderful resource. I wonder if I could have returned to DE shaving so successfully without the information I've found on sites like this one.

6. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Welcome to the Den. Glad to know you are becoming one of us. Lots of good folks here when ever you need any help.

7. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Welcome aboard.;) It only gets better from here. Trust me.:D

8. DarG

DarG New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I dont mean to offend anyone here by writing this so please dont be offended ... I dont enjoy shaving. I never have enjoyed shaving and honestly, I never will "enjoy" it. It's always been a necessary routine for me. For me, personally, I really cant ask for more than I have already gotten from this site. Finally, a comfortable shave for my neck, after 30 years. Im sure that this site can and will serve as a further resource for some good accessories/products and advice but I have gained more from that Weishi Razor review than I expected. Shaving will still probably be just a necessary routine to me but no longer a dreaded one thanks to the Shaving Den. That is more than I was hoping for.

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome to TSD!
    It's always nice to hear when we've made a difference from someone. Everyone's face is a little different and we all need something a little different. The Weishi is great when a very mild, but capable razor is needed.

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Welcome to The Shave Den and thanks for your great introduction!

11. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

Heh. I seem to remember saying that I was just looking for a decent shave when I started out 8 months ago. I had to try our a boar brush as well as my badger... and of course a slant razor... and every one needs multiple blades to find the best for them... and soaps and cremes... Good luck staving off the AD. ;>

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome to the Den! :)

13. gaelic841

gaelic841 Member

Welcome to the Shave Den !

14. DarG

DarG New Member

If the pursuit of a blood free, burn free shave is an addiction, then I have been addicted for years. And seeing how a man basically has no choice but to shave unless he's going for the Grisly Adams look, then I would agree that shaving is a necessary addiction, in a sense, anyway. But as far as looking for the perfect shaving accessories, or the best after shave balm, or collecting shaving items, or trying a variety of different razors AFTER finding one that works for me ... I really dont see it becoming a hobby or an addiction. I will admit though that if there were a longer handle razor that was as mild as the Weishi, or a long handled adjustable that could be dialed down to be as mild, I would be interested in that. So if anyone knows of such an animal, Im all ears (or eyes), please chime in.
    But that aside, personally, I just dont enjoy shaving. I do very much enjoy NOT bleeding though which has made this resource every bit as valuable to me as it would be if I were "into" shaving in the hobby sense, like many of you fine folks here seem to be.

Things have changed for me though, again thanks to the Weishi review here. Now, when my neck itches on that 2nd or 3rd day ... I can shave, knowing that my neck wont bleed and burn. So lets just say that, while I will never have an itch to shave, I now shave comfortably when I get the itch :happy102

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes.

15. Drew

Drew Member

That's what they ALL say..... at first!

If you truly want to honor this, run, don't walk, to the "inactivate account" prompt, so as to not succumb to the many ADs that countless gentlemen have not been able to ward off. :D

Or......... just admit defeat right now, and start buying a whole lot of stuff :happy102

shave well
    Drew

16. DarG

DarG New Member

Tell you what ...

I'll keep the account open and my mind as well and just see what good ole time will tell ... :D