What Happened to Method Shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by ChemErik, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

When I first started Wet Shaving over a year ago, Method Shaving was a big part of the discussion. Now, it seems like the the whole Method Shaving thing has disappeared. So I'm curious, is anyone still using method shaving? Do people who've tried had less than desired results and given it up? In general, is this even a real subject anymore?

2. Probably too boring and expensive to do on a consistent basis..... IMHO

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

It's still around. There used to be quite a few active members around here that discussed it every now and then but they have since quit posting at all... I think there are quite a few people that method shave, they just don't talk about it on the forums that often and the discussions seem to come in spurts. Just a few days ago a huge discussion popped up over at B&B about it.

4. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Pretty much agree.

While I never jumped fully on the method shaving bandwagon, I did try it's cutting forms as part of my learning curve. It works pretty well, and probably would work even better with all the products; but, it's 6 passes (IIRC), and I can get BBS with 3 now through improved technique, the right blade) and a more precise understanding of my face's angles. And my face is plenty happy afterwards. So, strike 1, I'd guess, would be pure time commitment: most of us, I'd bet, don't have time to invest in 6 passes every day--not to mention preparing the mix and all that. Strike 2, from the opinions I've read on the boards, is that it excludes all the wonderful "flavors" of creams and soaps; I'd agree with "boring" on those grounds. Strike 3 is probably the cost, though that could be a bit of a red herring, since at least it would limit ADs (in principle) by focusing only on method products.

5. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Ive been interested in method shaving for quite some time now. I really want to try out some products but dont have enough money for it yet.
    I never hear about it any more

6. Austin

Austin Member

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That shave rag always cracks me up. Ur, I mean shave "cloth". I know he lost some street cred. at another forum when he came out with that.

Overall it sounds like the method shavers have just gone quiet, but are still around.

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Don't really know enough about method shaving to speak intelligently or accurately about its effectiveness. I looked into it briefly a year and a half or so ago and to me it looked more like a marketing campaign for a specific set of products than anything else.

The way I see it BBS is BBS and as others have said, if I can get there in three passes how could six passes be any better? Once there's nothing left to cut it just seems like face destroying overkill. What's more, I can't speak for anyone but myself but there's a creative appeal to old fashioned wet shaving. That's what makes it fun and not just daily drudgery. My razors are divided into four (two razor) weeks so the razor involved is pre-determined. I did this so that all of my razors were being used and at the end of the day everyone get's about equal shave time. The other associated gear (soap, brushes, AS, cologne, etc.) are up to whatever whim hits me on that particular day. Is it TSD Patchuli, Williams or TSD Iced Sub Zero? Aqua Velva, Masters Bay Rum, English Leather or Clubman? How 'bout the finish? Acqua Di Gio, Obsession, Pinaud Lime Sec or what? I can't imagine I'm the only one that enjoys this daily creative, selective procedure as most of us own many soaps, fragrances and combinations therof. Removing that part of the hobby would, for me at least take away a huge part of why I like it so much. Were I confined to just "Method Shaving Stuff" (which by the way seems WAAAY more expensive) I'd just be spending a whole bunch of extra money for something not nearly as enjoyable. Now, if you're a hard core method shaver and it works for you, rock on with your bad self and enjoy it in good health. As for me, nope, think I'll pass.

Oh yeah, shave cloth!!!??? YGBSM! (relax mods, for TSD purposes I've decided this stands for You Gotta Be Shavin' Me). For the same price I could get a VDH Boar brush or about 4 Marvy brushes (granted not top of the line shave gear but at least they're brushes) for the love of all things holy, who applies soap or shaving cream with a wash cloth? Again, no offense meant just MHO.

9. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011

:rolleyes: No it doesn't! :happy097

10. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Notice I specified "For TSD purposes"

11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

+1
    I have to say this. It's not brain surgery and it's not some arcane craft; it's shaving. GI's points are all excellent.

12. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Member

Method shaving does seem more like a "gimmick" than anything else. I still feel that I need to try it out though. However, I can't see it being that much better than the shaves I get from straights, DEs, SEs, or injectors using traditional products.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Us old, retired GI's gotta stick together. I'm with 1OldGI on this.

14. I'd have to agree with all of the above.

As OldGI said, when you're talking about a single product line, you're dealing with limited permutations as far as combinations of products goes. That probably leaves little to talk about once you've got the method shaving thing figured out. Probably all that needs to be said about method shaving in a forum has already been talked about.

15. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Joel over across the street told me it is too messy and just not worth it when I asked him about months ago.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

1OldGI - you're comments made my day!

17. sffone

sffone Member

I'm an old guy who has been wet shaving for more than forty years. For me, the best part of shaving is the experimentation (which is why I'm now shaving with a straight). Method shaving is just too regimented -- I never understood the appeal.:confused:

18. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I never understood the need for method shaving and its "specific" instructions - but then again, each to his own.

19. scojak

scojak New Member

Method Shave Cloth is Awesome

Method shaving is going very much strong!! Charles is always researching ways to make it even better. The shave cloth works far better then my brush and is much faster.

Before MS I was unable to get a BBS no matter how long I shaved, just ended up looking like the guy that lost the fight. Now I get BBS every time, six days a week and it only takes 6min.!!!!!

As for cost, a 1 yr supply of Cube, #1paste, and cutting balm only cost $60, Method Shaving Rocks,

20. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

These two pretty much sum up my opinion as well.

I tried it, didn't work for me. Didn't get much help either... but then again I don't live in or near Austin. If you're local to the shop, definitely stop by for a visit at least... from all the stories it's an experience!