Replacement for Tom's of Maine Natural Shaving Cream?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by chasro, Dec 29, 2009.

1. chasro

chasro Member

It looks like Tom's of Maine may be discontinuing its Natural Shaving Cream, or at least the local stores by me have stopped carrying it.

So, I need a suggestion on what to replace it with. I use a brush and want something that is organic/natural. I'm willing to go to Whole Foods to buy the product.

I've tried Burt's Bees shaving cream and it just does not work well with a shaving brush, or at least that has been my experience.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Have you looked into the Kiss My Face line of shave creams?

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

If you want something natural and high performance, KMF is the way to go. It will definitely be carried at Whole Foods and you might find in the organic products isle of your regular grocery store.

4. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

Tom's of Maine was discontinued about two years ago, apparently it is just a slow mover in your area.

Also Burt's Bees is strictly a brushless cream, and is not meant to lather at all.

I have to agree with the recommendations for KMF. It lathers very well with a brush.

5. chasro

chasro Member

Thanks for the quick responses.

The problem I have with Kiss My Face is that, health wise, it really isn't any better than the stuff Gillette and other big companies put out. Skin Deep, which rates cosmetic stuff based on the ingredients used, rates KMF between 5-7, which equates to moderate to high hazard.

These ratings don't mean that KMF is going to kill you, cause cancer, etc, but it does add to the overall exposure risk. IMO, if you can reduce the risk by simply changing shaving cream, shampoo, etc, why not do so.

Any other suggestions besides Kiss My Face?

6. chasro

chasro Member

To make things easier on everyone, here is the list of the 50 "safest" shaving creams/lotions from the Skin Deep Cosmetic Database, along with the scores (0 = lowest risk; 10 = highest risk). If you have experience with any of them, please let me know.

Thanks.

1. A Soap for Goodness Sake Babassu Shaving Soap shaving cream (men's) 0
    2. Dermecology ARCHITEK men's facial and shaving Spa bar facial cleanser, shaving cream (men's) 0
    3. HeavenScent Naturals Shaving Soap bar soap, shaving cream (men's) 0
    4. Nurture My Body Shave Cream Fragrance Free shaving cream, shaving cream (men's) 0
    5. A Soap for Goodness Sake Bay Knights Shaving Soap shaving cream (men's) 0
    6. Nurture My Body Shave Cream shaving cream, shaving cream (men's) 0
    7. A Soap for Goodness Sake Shampoo and Body Bar Babassu Shampoo and Body Bar shaving cream, bar soap, body wash/cleanser 0
    8. Tom's of Maine Natural Conditioning Shave Cream MINT / Non-Aerosol (old formulation) shaving cream, shaving cream (men's) 1
    9. Joli Natural Skin Care - Shaving Cream shaving cream, shaving cream (men's) 1
    10. Garden of Eve Skin Care Adam's Shave Cream - no scent shaving cream (men's) 1
    11. Garden of Eve Skin Care Zesty Shave shaving cream (men's) 1
    12. Garden of Eve Skin Care Adam's Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 1
    13. ViDoma Naturals Shaving Cream shaving cream (men's) 1
    14. The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil Unscented body oil, shaving cream (men's) 1
    15. The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil Sandalwood body oil, shaving cream (men's) 1
    16. Botanical Skin Works Shave Bar shaving cream (men's), bar soap 1
    17. California North Pacific Foam Shaving Gel shaving cream (men's) 1
    18. Avalon Organics MOISTURIZING CREAM SHAVE - LAVENDER shaving cream (men's) 2
    19. Schick Intuition Plus Razor Cartridge, Sensitive Skin shaving cream, shaving cream (men's) 2
    20. Zirh Prepare Botanical Pre-Shave Oil shaving cream (men's) 2
    21. Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Northwoods Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 2
    22. ZIRH PREPARE shaving cream (men's), body oil 2
    23. Sundari Gentle Gel Cleanser facial cleanser, shaving cream (men's) 2
    24. Aubrey Organics Men's Stock North Woods Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 2
    25. The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil, Lemon Essential Oil, for All Skin Types shaving cream (men's) 2
    26. The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented for Sensitive Skin, Sandalwood for All Skin Types, Lavender for Sensitive Skin, Lemon for All Skin Types shaving cream (men's) 2
    27. The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil, Lemon for All Skin Types shaving cream (men's) 2
    28. Noxzema Shave Cream for Sensitive Skin shaving cream (men's) 3
    29. Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    30. The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream, Lavender shaving cream (men's) 3
    31. Tom's of Maine Natural Shaving Cream, Refreshing Mint (old formulation) shaving cream (men's) 3
    32. Arbonne Skin Fitness for Men Soothing Shave Gel shaving cream (men's) 3
    33. MAC SHAVE shaving cream (men's) 3
    34. Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men - Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    35. Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    36. Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    37. Burt's Bees Natural skin care for men shave cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    38. King of Shaves AlphaOil Shaving Oil Sensitive Skin shaving cream (men's) 3
    39. King of Shaves for Men K-Series Formula Alpha Shaving Oil shaving cream (men's) 3
    40. Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men - Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    41. King of Shaves K-Series ASC2 Shaving Oil shaving cream (men's) 3
    42. Aubrey Organics Men's Stock City Rhythms Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    43. Burt's Bees Natural skin care for men Shave Cream shaving cream (men's) 3
    44. Aubrey Organics Men's Stock Spice Island Shave Cream Bay Rum Vetiver shaving cream (men's) 3
    45. King of Shaves Kinexium Advanced Shaving Oil shaving cream (men's) 3
    46. The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream, Unscented for Sensitive Skin, Sandalwood for All Skin Types, Lavender for Sensitive Skin, Lemon for All Skin Types shaving cream (men's) 4
    47. The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream Travel Size, Lemon for All Skin Types shaving cream (men's) 4
    48. Barbasol Beard Buster Thick & Rich Shaving Cream, Original shaving cream (men's) 4
    49. Barbasol Shaving Cream, Original shaving cream (men's) 4
    50. Colgate Shave Cream with Aloe Vera Vera shaving cream (men's) 4

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The only cream on that list I could recommend is the Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort. Really good shave cream, though you'll have to mail order it. Art of Shaving is good also, but WAY overpriced IMHO. T&H is expensive enough. I've heard good things about Aubrey Organics, though it's totally brushless.

I honestly don't worry about ingredients to the same point you do. I avoid SLS/SLES and hydrocarbon propellents that seem to bug my skin, but that's about it. If you're really concerned, I'd recommend you try some hand crafted shave soaps such as those sold at Etsy where you can read all the ingredients. I haven't tried any, but I've heard that Red Leaf gives a good shave. Overall, it's more difficult to make a good shave cream without "unsafe" ingredients than it is for making a shaving soap.

8. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

last time I went to the natural food store 25 miles away, they had a lot of tubes, I bought 2, but decided to go grab some more today after seeing this thread...but I was too late
    dag-nab it, but I did find a puck of Colgate mug soap! (not at the same store, of course :D)

9. ernie

ernie New Member

I was sorely disappointed when I learned that Tom's of Maine had discontinued their shaving cream, which I had been using for a great many years. I've tried many alternatives (Aubrey's, Avalon, Dr Bronner's, etc.) with less than satisfactory results.

Then a couple of weeks ago I got to thinking: Tom's is basically just coconut and olive oils, stearate, and water, with some peppermint, vitamin E, and jojoba oil. So I applied a small amount of Elysian Dream 100% organic olive oil castile liquid soap, then lathered on a small amount of Burt's Bees Shaving Cream (one of the better alternatives, though not as good as Tom's), and voila, I experienced the smoothest, closest shave I'd had in months. My beard, while not terribly thick, is extremely tough and wiry, so I was very pleased. I may try some other shaving cream in place of Burt's, but I'm very happy with the combination.

10. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

I have some extra Tom's of Maine

I bought the last 4 tubes of Tom's that a local health food store had. As soon as I have the required tenure in TSD I will be looking to trade them. I will be doing this near the end of January and will be looking for interesting soaps, or creams or aftershaves that I don't have.

11. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

You do what I did - I had Truckman pick up a bunch he found at a store near him. Now I have 3-4 unopened tubes sitting in my storage area, in addition to the two tubes I emptied into a tub for use. One of my absolute favorite creams.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    There's still a ton of these available at a few stores around my area. They get put on clearance I might buy them.

13. Teiste

Teiste New Member

If you really love creams and want natural try Speick,Nivea or Florena.The Body Shop Maca Root is wonderful too.No parabens or SLS/SLES on either of them and lathers wonderfully.

14. brothers

brothers Active Member

You can still get Tom's Mint Shaving Cream on Amazon.

15. haiti222

haiti222 Member

Do you have Trader Joe's near you and is their cream in your database? Their cream is decent and will lather some. It is sold as a brushless. It has a mango scent that I only tolerate, but it it inexpensive and actually made by one of the companies that specializes in natural products.......

16. Allen-Edmonds

Allen-Edmonds Member

Do you have Whole Foods near you? They seem to still have it in stock. I assume they had a lot in their warehouses as it was discontinue a while back. I saw it a few months ago when I was in a Whole Foods.

I am finishing off a tube of Calendula. It is decent. I really enjoyed the Mint though. I'll miss it.

17. chasro

chasro Member

I'm a bit concerned about the shelf life and how long the tubes have been sitting in inventory when it comes to Toms of Maine, though my current tube might well be over a year old for all I know.

Plus, I am at the point where I just need to change creams more than hunt down tubes of Toms.

I'll be at Trader Joe's tomorrow and will take a look at their cream. I want something that I can use with a brush, though. Art of Shaving Cream will likely be what I try next.

18. merkri

merkri New Member

Hey everyone. I think I'm new to these forums--at least posting--although I've been DE shaving for awhile now.

I've had good luck with the Sunleaf Naturals Shave & Face Soap. I'd post a link but I can't at the moment because my post count is too low.

At first I was sort of ambivalent about it, but it's grown on me. I think the only thing I've not really loved about it is the scent--a lavender-mint-patchouli blend. It's pleasant, actually, but just not quite my absolute favorite scent. But it's functioned pretty well overall.

19. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I assume you mean this?
    Haven't tried it, but the ingredients are as simple as you can get.

20. merkri

merkri New Member

Yep. That's the one I'm talking about. The website says "Shave and Face Soap" but on the packaging it just says "Shaving Soap," and that's the way it was presented in the store I bought it from.