Looking For Advice on Replacement for Aramis Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by GHF, Feb 3, 2010.

1. GHF

GHF New Member

Just found this forum, and hope that the accumulated knowledge of it's members may help me.

I have been using Aramis Shaving Soap for over 30 years. It works well for me.

It has always been hard to find in the department stores that carry it - I got my last three cakes in November 2007 at Bloomingdales in NYC.

I have started to see Aramis stuff out on the web, but no Shaving Soap. I called the number I had from way back for Aramis, and got connected to a phone that answered Estee Lauder.

I went to esteelauder.com, and left an email asking about the soap. I just got a reply, and it indicated that the product has been discontinued.

There is a Gone But Not Forgotten ability indicated there, but it looks like I need a replacement for the longer term. A phone conversation indicated that it was discontinued in sometime mid-2009.

Since I assume that there are other users of this product that have had to find a replacement, I am asking for advise on what to try/not try to replace it.

I am interested in similar smelling soaps that lather the same way with the same, larger cake diameter - i.e. approximately 2.75 inches US or 69.85 millimeters.

I use a discontinued Wilton Armetale French coffee mug bottom as my mug. Looks like pewter, wears like iron.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry, I can't help you with the Aramis. I've never used it.

That aside, welcome to the Den!

Come often, stay long, share much.
    There's a bunch of great guys, gals and info 'round here. Have fun!

3. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

I would definitely give Tabac shave soap a try.

4. jackl

jackl New Member

check out ebay

Hi I am new here to De shaving, however
    if you check out EBay there are some of the soaps you want.

5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Hmmm Aramis is still available here and on the bay. I feel my AD coming back after a 4 month break.

6. trainman

trainman New Member

Amazon in the UK has it,it's not cheap,£14.00(approx $22.00) for two pucks,then you have to factor in the shipping costs,guess it depends on how badly you want it.

Dave.

7. blacdisco2000

blacdisco2000 Member

Try with tabac is a very good soap and essence can be like aramis.

8. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Tabac, Mitchells Wool Fat, Prairie Creations, Arko. Tabac would be closest in scent, but still different. The others a quality shave soaps.

9. GHF

GHF New Member

The Test

Finally was able to pick up the Tabac today on the way home from work. Since I have been working nights, I took a nap, and then put the cake in one of my mugs.

The soap worked great. It may be slightly better than Aramis in the thickness of the lather. Thanks for all the help in finding this replacement for Aramis. The others suggested may work also, but this one works for me.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I LOVE Aramis eau de toilette and aftershave, but the shaving soap was terrible for me. It lathered very thinly, and gave me a bad irritation. :(

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I bought one at the weekend, I saw it in a DA perfumery and thought it was good value as it was 23 Euros for 2 and they are 13 GBP on the bay for ......er 2 :mad:.

:happy102

12. JEFF5001

JEFF5001 New Member

Hello everyone. Thanks for the welcome. I was cleaning out my cabinet under the bathroom sink and came across an old bottles of Brut, Old Spice, English Leather, Aramis and my old shaving cup. also found my old shaver that opens and closes with the old blade you put in. I want to go back in time to when I used the Aramis shaving soap. Can anyone tell me where I can find the Aramis shaving soap within the United States. I know about ordering it from the UK but would prefer ordering it from the U.S. Thank you all again for a warm welcome. Jeff5001

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  13. Cale

Cale New Member

14. The situational shaver

The situational shaver Well-Known Member

I’ve never tried Aramis, but wanted to. I didn’t know they even made a shave soap.
    Now I’m going to be jonesing for it, and I haven’t even used it yet!
    Stuff like this always makes me nervous about what’s getting discontinued next. The shavepocalypse.

brit likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Epic thread revival. OP lasted all of two posts.

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Just for kicks I was going to reply to Crackstar's post to see if it would be allowed, now that he has a new name.

brit likes this.