Melting your soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Billr, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

OK so question. I have read many times here that you can melt your soap and pour it in other containers. How do you do that? Can it be down with most soaps? LIke for instance Col. Conks Bay Rum or Amber or Almond?

Ok so that was more than one question.:ashamed001

2. thestone725

thestone725 Member

I don't know about all soaps. But I know for a fact that it can be done with Col. Conks Almond soap. I nuked mine in the microwave for about 12 seconds.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Some soaps can be melted, others it's not such a good idea. All glycerin soaps that don't contain any lanolin or tallow melt just fine, so Col. Conk soaps are good to go.

The easiest way to do it is in the microwave. Use short (10 seconds max) bursts with the soap in a microwavable container (use the mug/bowl if it's microwave safe). If needed, pour the soap into your mug/bowl after melting. You don't need to worry about melting the last little sliver of soap and be careful not to over-do the microwave.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. That's how I do it.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

One trick I learned on a forum is to take a glycerin soap and melt it around a another soap puck. For example I took a small Marvy soap puck and placed it in the middle of a melted VDH Glycerin puck. Now the brush hits two soaps at once and I like the result.

6. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

cool

that's a cool trick HANZO, I'm gonna try that one. I wonder if you can melt soap using a double boiler, its how chefs melt chocolate and stuff.

7. Billr

Thank you

The microwave worked great - man that stuff melts fast! It took two shots at 8 seconds each. Now my Old Spice mug has a soap in it that won't move around.

:D

8. sffone

sffone Member

I've never done it, but I've read in a number of places that using a double boiler works quite well.

9. sas71

sas71 Member

go easy on the nuke time. i melted some today and went 15/10/15 sec and that last 15 made it spew out all over the place.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That happened to me the first time, as well. Now I keep my finger poised on the STOP button and watch it like a hawk! I kick it off at the first sign of bubbles.

11. sas71

sas71 Member

i usually toss them in for 20sec and thats most of the time enough to get it all liquid. dont know why i didnt do that the other day but on the positive side my microwave smelled like roses :D

12. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

just tried....

I tried the double boiler method and it worked OK, then I tried in the microwave for 10 seconds it was a lot better. when I put the soap in the microwave I got a wet paper napkin and put it on top of the container (wet napkin lid). it seemed to help keep the moisture inside and did not stink up my microwave.

13. bloodybill

bloodybill New Member

does it make your microwave smell, or other foods?

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

At 10 second bursts, no it does not, at least not that I could tell.

15. Billr

I did mine in 8 second bursts, all it took was two bursts and enough soap was melted so I could pour it into my vintage old spice mug. (not sure if the mug was microwave safe) There was still a little bit of solid soap when I poured it but it continued to melt from the warm liquid soap around it and what ever didn't melt was not noticed after it became solid again. No smells at all in the microwave. This was all done in direct supervision of SWMBO!

16. bloodybill

bloodybill New Member

I bought some yardley lavender soap ,it has sodium tallowate and petrolatum glycern and a bunch of other stuff. can it be melted ?

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Not without damaging it, no.

18. bloodybill

bloodybill New Member

Thanks for the info.

19. ccgnet

ccgnet New Member

Microwave works great. Just experiment with time.

Chris