Burgers, dogs, brats...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Feb 14, 2010.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

and snow! Top it off with an icy cold IBC Rootbeer... Man, life is GOOD! :eatdrink047

We got hit with 2' last Saturday, then another 1-1/2 feet Wednesday.

Yes, that's charcoal, not gas. I'm a purist. Last photo - one happy griller!!

Attached Files:

FacialCarnage and BamaT like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I love brats. I once wrapped a brat up in some really thin sirloin steak, wasn't that good. I shoulda cooked the brat first. Haven't tried it since....

SNUCK FOW!

We're supposed to get another 5" by the end of Tuesday. There is still a little better than 3.5 on the ground and wayyyy more than that piled up on the sidewalks and easements.

3. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

Bravo! I salute your bravery.

I, also, am a big fan of year round grilling.

4. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Those Brats look great, Brats and a Bears game, you can't beat that.

5. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Now that's what I call dedication.;):D

6. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Think of it this way...

No sweating
    No bugs
    Beer (or root beer) stays cold

Sounds like a fair deal to me. :D

7. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

what he said!

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I typically grill year round, but I think some condensation built up in my gas lines and they froze up. (yet another argument for coal) So I have been getting a lot of use out of my cast iron pan this winter. I want one of those brats so bad right now. :)

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I can't really put in words my fondness for the bratwurst. Kinda like shaving, but content in a different way.

10. swarden43

Charcoal is THE ONLY way to go. Gas is just cookin' outside (but at least it is cookin' outside).

By the way, believe it or not, that grill was an anniversary gift from my parents back in April of '86. That's right - it's going into it's 25 season! It's a "Happy Cooker" brand. I tried to find them on line and let them know the grill was still going strong, but I heard they went out of business back in the mid 90s. Guess that's what happens when you make a product too good - they last forever so no one ever has to by another :happy102!

11. sol92258

great story! except for the part of them being out of business...and sadly, I truly think that's why most things made these days are crap. We live in a disposable economy to always make more sell more.....ehh, I don't wanna digress...but I do wanna brat' and hot link!

12. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

If you're frying brats in a pan, coat them in flour first: it gets golden brown, and gives you a bit of crunch.

13. thestone725

thestone725 Member

100% in agreement with this. I won't touch a gas grill.:happy088

14. swarden43

Open invite to you and all who may read this - if you're in the area (I'm right across the river from Philadelphia, city of Pennsauken, NJ), drop me a line. I'll get the grill fired up, the IBC Rootbeer chillin' and the mugs gettin' frosty for ya!

15. sol92258

sounds good, please do elaborate!

16. sol92258

Texas is a bit far away, but who knows :D

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The man likes his BBQ :D (I wish I could fire up the grill right now... :( )

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is amazing!
    Wow, I hadn't even thought to fry a brat. May have to give that a try...

19. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Use white brats; and your beloved cast iron (I have a couple of Lodges and Griswolds myself--love the things). You don't have to use egg or anything, just coat with flour.

My mother (formerly of Frankfurt am Mein) used to cook brats like that all the time.

20. sol92258

any kind of grease? or dry-fry?