The one pass shave - Possible?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by whistleman123, Feb 20, 2010.

1. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

Is it possible to get a decent one pass shave? I have a beard that grows every whick way and have very sensetive skin. After the first pass my skin is fine, but the shave is not so good. With each succesive pass I get more irritation and burn. I've been experimenting with different creams, soaps, and preshaves. Also with blades and the adjustment settings on my M15 Schick adjustable. Don't get me wrong. I can achieve a very good 3 pass shave, but it usually comes with some irritation and burn on my neck.
    Is the one pass shave possible or I'm I wishing for the moon? How should I try and achieve it?

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yes. a good one pass shave is very possible. you probably won't get bbs, but you can get a very fine shave.

I do a one pass shave with touchups every morning. My face reacts the same as yours to multi-pass shaves. What I did was find an aggressive razor (M.P. R89, pre-redesign) and paired it with a mild-ish blade (personna red pack). One pass gets me a good shave. I have to touch up at the base of my neck and at the corners of my jaw, and that's it.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hopefully someone can help you out with one-pass advice. I only get results that I am happy with by doing three passes. Notice I said they are results I am happy with. You may be satisfied with different results, and that's fine. It's about you enjoying your shave, done your way, and getting results that satisfy you.

My first question would be about your prep. What are you doing to get your beard and your face ready? I learned many years ago that to shave before a hot shower is just asking for a lousy shave. If you're not shaving right around the same time as you shower, try applying a hot, wet towel to your face for a couple of minutes.

Second, is the M15 your only razor? That may be cause of the problem, as well. It was why I sold my Merkur slant a while back - it just caused too much irritation. Try a different razor. Which one? Only you'll be able to find out what works through trial and error.

Is the burn and irritation only on your neck? I know many guys who just can't go ATG on their neck without getting burned. I'm fortunate in that I can go ATG without suffering. You may not. Try just a two-pass shave (WTG and XTG) for a week or two and see how it goes.

Hope that helps.

4. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I shower first, then hot towel, then glycerin, then hot lather. I do have a Krona and a Tech, but found the Schick gives me a better shave. Every razor I've tried gives me a comfortable 1st pass, then it's down hill. Technique is probably a factor too. I'll keep trying.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    That M15 is an injector, correct? Myself, i'd pull out one of those DE's and refine your technique. The M15 is the easier razor to use, but not necessarily the best.

6. Jackliquor

Jackliquor New Member

I always reapply. I usually work lather into the face but reapply paint brush mode (as my face is sensitive) for that second pass. To be satisfied with a single pass, in my particular experience, is to look clean to the naked eye but not BBS. I definitely prefer the latter. To get to BBS with a single pass means passing my razor repeatedly over an area unprotected by lather -- something I will not do anymore.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Atta boy! Hope it doesn't take long to find the right prep/soap/brush/razor/blade/post shave combo that works for ya!

8. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I just tried noobshavers advice. I did my regular prep. Then I set my adjustable Shick up 2 settings more aggressive than normal and did a one pass WTG with a little touchup here and there. I got what jackliquor described as a satasfactory shave with almost no burn. I'll have to keep working on it. Thanks all for the advice. I love this site!!!!!!

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

yep. took me a long while to arrive at my current setup. You might try moving on over to DEs, or, you might seriously look at Single Edge razors. I find they work really well for single pass shaving.

If you choose to try SE shaving DO NOT start with a micromatic. They are good razors, but not good to start with. All other types of SE razors are fine for a new SE shaver.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I can get a very good, in fact, an excellent 1 pass shave with my straight razor. With a DE, I still need a minimum of 2 passes.

11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I can get a socially acceptable shave (SAS) with one pass of my G or I type injectors, probably. There are always a few stray hairs around the chin that are difficult, but if I lowered my standards a bit, yes it's possible. Maybe with a couple of my better DE razor + blade combinations, too.

I'm often pretty close at the end of the first pass, but usually feel that a few areas need some touch-up. I'd rather take at least one more complete pass, and then do some touch-up if needed. Luckily, I usually am not all that rushed, as my trip to work is pretty short and easy.

12. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Injectors are SE, also moving to a DE from an Injector is going backwards actually especially if you're using an E or G.

Probably the closest one pass shave would be with a Schick E2, by far the most aggressive shaver I have ever used.

13. chay22

chay22 New Member

I have only ever used one pass for a shave, maybe another pass on problem sections

14. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

If i seriously could only do one pass and had to run I might, and I say might go with XTG.

15. CatMan

CatMan Member

One pass=BBS? Sure!

After applying to DE shaving what I learned using my str8s for some time, I managed to get a BBS with one pass ATG every time. So, I got bored and now try to achieve the same with a straight. That will take a while.

Here's how I did it:
    • Shower
    • Ueberlather Plus
    • Dorco blade in any adjustable DE closed all the way to "1"
    • Use the DE like a planer, back and forth ATG w/o lifting the razor from the skin until all the stubble are gone.
    • Don't look at the angle of the razor, just listen to the cutting sound!
    • No pressure!
    That's it. :cool:

16. J T

J T Member

Old School Once Over Shave

Yes and it was once the norm.

No it will not be bbs and yes there will be a shadow (5 o'clock or otherwise).:shocked003

17. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Has anyone ever found a way to toughen up one's face? I wondered if witch Hazel would do that? Like when you get your feet toughened up with surgical spirit before a big walking session.

18. CatMan

CatMan Member

Due to lousy honing technique I shaved for about 18 months with not quite shave ready straight razors. As a side effect it toughened up my face. Is it advisable? You decide! ;)

19. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I happened on this same techique accidentally the other day. I was trieing Cremo Shave Cream for the first time. The stuff was so slick that when I was j-hooking a problem spot I just left the razor on my skin and continued the pattern all the way up my neck. I was suprised at the result. It will take some practice to do this on the left side of my neck (I'm right handed), but I'll keep trying. As an aside, I really like the Cremo.

20. TonyO

TonyO New Member

OK, totally off topic here. How does one toughen up ones feet by using surgical spirit? I assume that's some sort of alcohol? What's involved in the procedure?

I only ask because I run, and have considered trying out barefoot running in the summer around here. Extremely sorry for the OT post. :ashamed001