Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by wyatt46, Feb 20, 2010.

1. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

I am enjoying Clubmans Bay Rum and its cooling affect.
    Any reviews on Dominica Bay Rum or Bay Rum Lime.
    Also curious about Booster Bay Rum and any others that might be available.

Wyatt

2. geneaut

geneaut Member

I really like the Master Bay Rum. I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply for about $7 for 15 oz.

3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I like Ogallala Bay Rum. Using the Limes and Peppercorns now. I also use Saint Charles Shaving Bay Rum Balm on days I need a little extra moisturizing. Highly recommend both.

4. ACE$&8s

ACE$&8s New Member

I also like the Ogallala Bay Rum. Not a real strong sent but nice. I just ordered one off the Bonanza sampler packs of eBay that has several of the different types.

I use the Clubmans to make my own version of bay rum by mixing it with Witch Hazel and a little almond oil.

5. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Just got some Burt's Bees BR and it is really nice. Very soothing and smells terrific but doesn't last but about 3 hours, tops. I know, I know, it's an AS not their cologne.

6. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.;)
    I like the idea of adding witch hazel, that would make the product last longer.

7. Griz

Griz Member

I like the Ogallala Bay Rum and it has a fair amount of witch hazel in it.

I did find out that you have to shake the bottle (just like the label says) before you use it or you will get lot's of oil from the top and at least for me quite a burn for a while. It will make for a very exciting end to a good shave!

Will N.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Burt's Bees Bay Rum cologne lasts very well for me, and I absolutely love the scent.

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

All this talk prompted me to go buy some Master's Bay Rum. When I first smelled this a few months ago I swore I would never knowingly let myself in the same room with it, after wearing the Clubman VIBR I have come to notice the niceties of the bay rum and I picked up a bottle of Masters. I tell you what. It is damn fine stuff. I haven't used it directly following a shave yet, that will be tomorrow, but as far as scent and how it felt on my hands, I am certain it'll be good to go.

Also, I'm going to mix up some of the Barbasol Pacific Rush with it and try to get a bit of a mentholated bay rum thing going.

10. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this question seems silly :ashamed001

Are there some or many differences in the fragrance when it comes to Bay Rum?

Is the Pinaud completely different from the Masters, the Ogallala, Burts Bees, whatever?

11. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I have used BBBR and Clubman and only sniffed Masters out of the bottle. Clubman has a characteristic clove scent that isn't prevalent in the others. Never smelled or tried Ogalalla......... yet.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Not silly at all. Bay Rums all have the same note from the Caribbean Bay Leaf (not what you use to cook with). Then they have spice note that can vary significantly in strength and in which spices are selected. Pinnaud has a strong clove dominated scent. Oglalla has a moderate strength complex spice (I get cinnamon strongest). Master's has a very light spice note, but I've only smelled it out of the bottle and couldn't pick out the specific notes. Trumper's (I had a sample) has a light, sweet spice.

13. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I don't think that Master's has much if any spice component. I mainly has a nice bay scent. There may be more discriminant/capable sniffers out there than mine but I don't get any clove or cinnamon.

14. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Erik :happy088

This is very, very helpful :D

15. geneaut

geneaut Member

I love the Masters. It's got to be some kind of leader in cost/performance.

16. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I dabble in bay rums alot. Stephans has a light bay rum only scent (no clove or spice) much like Masters, but is somewhat lighter weighted than Masters. Dominica is clovey, strong and good too. All of these have moisturizers making them great a/s.

Superior 70 is another fine low clove/spice bay rum a/s at a ridiculous price point of $2 for a large bottle at Walgreens (often must have them order it from another store-at no shipping charge, which they are willing to do).

I like Clubman bay rum more as a cologne than an a/s since it offers little moisturizing. A dash of lime sec to any of these makes them interesting, if you like lime. A dash of Masters Blue or AquaV gives some menthol tones.

17. timj219

timj219 Member

I just used the TSD Signature Scent soap and aftershave for the first time today. Mixture of Bay and Bergamot EO. Very nice. And left the skin feeling good too.

18. Trawlerman

Trawlerman New Member

Am just waiting on my Bonanza sampler pack coming from Ogallala. Also ordered the Apothecary Mug and Soap :)

19. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I find the Master Bay Run to be more appealing than the Clubman BR because it has a milder scent and does not have such a strong clove smell.
    The Master BR scent lasts for a quite a while too despite the milder scent.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. geneaut

geneaut Member

I've often thought of mixing them 50/50.