Stop right there, don't buy that! or Shave goods best avoided...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Dridecker, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Ishouldbeking

Ishouldbeking Member

Take all of the anti-recommendations with a grain of salt though, what works or doesn't for one face, may be the opposite for another. And with issues like hard water, skin sensitivity, beard type, etc, there's a wide range of ways products can behave for different people.

In fact, it'd probably be more useful if you said WHY a particular product should be "avoided at all costs" so all of us can make an objective judgement.

Lilac Vegetal seems like the obvious example... lotsa folks hate the scent, but there are plenty who adore it.

opsimath and BigCabDaddy like this.
  2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

fair enough. I will repeat what others have said about Herban Cowboy shave soap and add a little story from personal experience.

It does not work for shaving. It's that simple. I had an extremely mild razor at the time (feather popular). I didn't need a lot of slickness or cushion to do a complete shave. If I lathered one cheek, the side by my nose would dry out before I finished shaving by my ears. I shave fast. This soap did not work at all.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Colgate shave soap and Williams Mug soap. I couldn't make Herban Cowboy work. That's why I would say avoid it at all costs.

3. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

As Bill said YMMV..
    I have had great success with Wilkinson Blue Bowl SS
    Lots of creamy lather (Boar Brush) and I like the scent.
    More expensive soaps have preformed less (for me).

--------------------

My suggestion is to avoid Supermax Super Stainless Blades.
    Just dont feel sharp IMHO.
    But...YMMV

4. CSL

CSL Member

Lightfoot's Shave Soap

Lightfoot's shave soap.

I tried a puck. Nice smell but couldn't get more than a very thin lather out of it. Relegated it to a hand soap.

5. puffulufogous

puffulufogous New Member

great idea guys. luckily, I have managed to avoid purchasing anything mentioned in this thread. cheers to you guys as well as other shaving forums I won't mention.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Berma-Shave wet shave kit. (tin can holding mug, puck and brush) sells for about $12. Avoid on principle. It advertises itself as a nostalgia item. Nostalgia for what? Burma Shave only made brushless shaving cream.

Aside from that, the mug is just a Burma Shave branded coffee mug, not a shaving mug, so is a bit on the tall side (for shaving, works great for coffee). The soap is mildly sented, and the lather it produces is not great, not bad, but not great. The brush is ho-hum as well. Boar. Smaller and stiffer than the Van Der Hagen brush, I used mine as a travel brush until I got something better. So in the end, almost a complete waste of money. At least I got a coffee mug out of it!

7. The Anachronist

The Anachronist New Member

I would certainly like to see more products listed. I found a combo that works well for me, but I want to experiment with more creams and soaps. I know I could do better on the soap than Conk's Bay Rum. A friend of mine that I just turned on to wet shaving went out and bought L'Occitane CADE on someone else's recommendation. I suspect the person just named off a fancy designer name he knew. He's that type. My friend didn't seem to be too dissatisfied with it, but I'll ask for more details. The scent sounded nice, so I almost bought some. For that price though, it'd better work heavenly.

I've got a couple blades that I will never touch again, some I didn't even shave more than once with. Although plenty like those blades, so it's not an avoid at all costs case. I just have girly-man skin.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    There aren't many to list.

Most products are YMMV. Work awesome for some people, not so well for others.

L'Occitane Cade is a good soap. Triple milled, and will last well past it's $10 asking price.

theFAT98 and scott wein like this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I was in there yesterday to get that soap, but they were all out...good to know about the low price though because they wanted $18.00 for the metal bowl sans soap!

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Bob, I think I agree with you, buddy--Burts Bees Bay Rum smells delicious, but it ends right there! Besides, nobody will buy it now, I heard it was discontinued! :happy102 :happy102

11. The Anachronist

The Anachronist New Member

You're right. I suppose that's good though. Really, who wants a bunch of REALLY terrible stuff out there?

I may try the soap, $10 really isn't too bad. I got boggled by the $28 tag on their cream! Since it costs about 3 times more than Bigelow, doesn't that mean it should work 3 times as well? :D

12. Buffnut07

Buffnut07 New Member

Great advice everyone, I really appreciate the heads up on all these products.

13. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Dittoes on the Herban Cowboy! I don't know what this stuff is, but it isn't shave soap! A quality bath soap will provide a better shave than Herban Cowboy. Used it on my pitts so I at least wouldn't waste money... :angry019:

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Rise Shave Cream. Often sold with Rise Shave Gel, both come in a tube. This stuff will not lather. Granted it's a brushless shave cream but it is only good for mornings when you don't have time to whip up a lather.

Colonia Rue Water is another to avoid. It is sold as a body splash and is supposed to provide spiritual cleansing or some such rubbish. The green color may fool some into thinking it is an aftershave. The smell is indescribable. In a very bad way.

15. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

Burt's Bee's :
    Lip balm - yes
    Shave cream - NO

newb likes this.
  16. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Nice to see this thread revived ... .

Found the pattern of disapproval on French creams (L'Occitane Cade, Pre de Provence) interesting. I'll add Institut Karite cream to the mix.

French soaps I've tried (Institut Karite, L'Occitane) are absolutely awesome IMHO! The only cream I've tried is Institut Karite ... can't get a decent, long-lasting lather. Love the scent and moisturizing abilities, but without a decent lather the protection can be somewhat variable. Maybe I'm off here ... does anyone else agree?

In summary ...
    Institut Karite and L'Occitane Cade SOAPS = :2thumbs:
    Institut Karite cream = :confused:

17. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

7 A.M. razor blades (not the Gillette 7 O'Clock Series). When I tried these blades I quit after just one pass and gave the rest of the pack away.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington and Slipperyjoe like this.
  18. Queen of Blades

This thread isn't for YMMV items. :)

Paul Turner and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

7 A. M. Blades are the one brand of blade that I have never seen anyone say they liked. Besides, what in shaving isn't YMMV?

20. Queen of Blades

Herban Cowboy shaving soap
    L'Occitane shaving cream
    Shea Moisture shaving cream
    and others

Seriously.

PLANofMAN likes this.