home wine

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by TheCopperHat, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

so i've finally come to my testing period for a red and white that i brewed last summer. My white was a gavertstraminer (wrong spelling but its pronounced like that) and a red french merlot. bought the full kit etc bottled and racked in the storage room for 8 months. FANTASTIC, i do believe i have bought my last produced wine. What an enjoyable hobby, next i'll try a dessert wine, and then maybe a beer of sorts we'll see.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Awesome! It is fun taking that first sip of something you created. Congratulations on the success!

3. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

thanks! it's also a little nerve racking, recounting how many small mistakes you may have made that are rumoured to destroy an entire batch lol, well worth the effort though if anyone has thought about trying it

4. CatMan

CatMan Member

Congrats! It is a wonderful hobby, isn't it? I made lots of wine while I lived in Sweden in the ninetieths. All you really need is fruit and wine yeast, apart from a bucket with lid and air lock, of course. Apples work very well for white wine, blackberries for red. It's good to have a juice extractor though.
    Happy wine tasting!

5. geneaut

geneaut Member

I used to make mead and hard cider, and it was a fun hobby.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

"Gewürztraminer" would be how it's written. Congratulations on your homemade wine nonetheless :happy088 I for myself make Most (apple+pear-wine) every fall - it's what gets me through these long, cold winters here :happy102

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I tried once to make wine, and when I finished, it was NO GOOD. I'll stick to cooking! :happy102

8. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

haha thanks for the correct spelling...I was only a little off :D