soap melting

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by TheCopperHat, Mar 4, 2010.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

so I bought a bunch of soaps today to take for a test run i'll review them in a week or two, but they are all refills and i've got a couple of jars that fit my shelf nicely, is it possible to melt down the soaps and pour them into new jars without negativley effecting the soap itself? If this is possible are there any tricks to do this?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Which soaps are they?

Glycerin can be melted, non-glycerin can't.

If you aren't sure, the members can most likely tell you what they are.

sorry, for the shortness of my answer. My head is splitting. :o

3. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

not a problem, it's a perfect answer, there completly new soaps i haven't seen reviewed yet i don't think, i'll post the names and ingredients and see if somebody can decipher :), take 2 aspirin and off to bed is my solution for head splitters

4. Queen of Blades

Took a shower. :) And a nice glass of ice water. Feeling a bit better. Thank you. :o

As for reviews, it might just be an oversight that we don't have reviews for the soaps you have. We're still fairly young. :)

But of course, you may have found something completely new. I think we all hope to stumble upon that new, undiscovered gem ( is that a shaving pun? :rofl). Makes the hobby/hunt fun for sure! :happy088

I myself was just searching for the new and exciting today. Instead I ended up with a strange sticky honey like substance running down my arm. :sick007 (This product. Watch out if you unscrew the cap. :eek:)

5. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

organic and fair trade, very cool, was it any good or just strange stickey and honey like?

6. Queen of Blades

I started another thread about this. :)

7. geneaut

geneaut Member

Any problem melting TSD soaps ? I'm thinking about making some wacky combos with some of them.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

None for me. I just keep my finger on the STOP button of the micro-wave and hit it as soon as I see the soap start to bubble.

9. geneaut

geneaut Member

I usually do the candle warmer thing, but I have miked Conks before. Thanks !

10. AJP

AJP New Member

The best way i have found to get around it, whether they melt or not, is to use a grater. Grate up the soap and pack really tightly into whatever container you want them in. Once packed down as tight as you can make it, put a few drops of water on the top, moisten the back of a spoon and rub it around to flatten the surface..and voila.

Hope that helps some,
    Tony.

11. geneaut

geneaut Member

I'll try that next time. I have a wooden soap dish I really didn't want to put into the microwave.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Melt your soap in a microwave-save bowl, pour into wooden bowl.

13. geneaut

geneaut Member

Aye aye Captain.