Muhle R89...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Uncle Chewbacca, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Uncle Chewbacca

Uncle Chewbacca New Member

They're harder and harder to come by. According to a few retailers, the company is backed up almost 2 months but speaking with West Coast Shaving, they are expecting a shipment in 3 weeks. I just ordered mine from Best Grooming @ a phenomenal price. Happy Hunting folks!

2. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

try the bay or google.com then search for em..they exist and some places have more versions than others

ek.310

3. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Try amazon or leesrazors, but they're a little high right now, about 55-60 bucks, ouch!

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The EJ razors use the Muhle head and they're usually about $10 less. Also, the D.R. Harris razors are EJs.

I chose my EJ DE87 over the Muehle because it sported a slightly longer and heavier handle, which I prefer. The fact that it was $10 less helped.

5. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

There are alot of variations on this theme....

Mühle, Edwin Jagger, D.R. Harris, they all use the same head only the handle differs :D

I have a Mühle R89, Mühle R106 & D.R. Harris DE87 and they all shave like a beauty :happy088

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

if you go the ebay route to find M.P. R89s you'll find even more variation.

They've gone through several different versions of the R89. I have an early version with a Fatip head. This was when the R89 was a very aggressive open comb razor. I think they used Merkur heads in other later versions and now use their own, home made razor head.

So make sure you know what you're buying. All R89s are not the same.

7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Very good point.

8. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Oops :ashamed001

I forgot about the Open Comb versions.............

9. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I also have a R89, and bought a R106 for backup and because it has a black handle! It's a great fit for my black handle brush and black mug :D.
    Kind of a silly reason if you think, but it's good to have a second R89. It's such a good razor.
    I don't want to create any frenzy, but I love the way it shaves with a Super Iridium blade!

10. Uncle Chewbacca

Uncle Chewbacca New Member

I just received my R89 in the mail yesterday from Best Grooming and used it this morning. WOW. I've put my HD in the bottom drawer for now. I think I found a new "go to"

11. Moe

Moe Active Member

How do you like the grip on the R89? Does it seem to grip as well as the HD when it's wet?

Thanks in advance,

Moe

12. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

The grip of the HD is better than the R89's. But then again it isn't particularly pretty either. It's more like a tool. The R89 is a piece of jewellery compared to the HD.

Keep in mind that the R89's grip is also good. You won't have any problems. I don't have any problems even with the R106 razor. I admit that the HD has a very good grip, probably the best grip from all the razors I know about.

13. BRuhling

BRuhling New Member

Noob eagerly waiting...

I ordered my R89 yesterday from Best Grooming and got a shipping confirmation this morning. Can't wait for my first DE Shave!!!!

14. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

The new R89 is but a shadow of the manly razor it once was.:eek::sick007 Might as well stick a Fusion head on it.

15. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

YMMV thing here!
    I very much like a razor as the R89. Just like Uncle Chewbacca does.
    But some want a different feeling from a razor. I understand spinyeel. No problem. Just put in for sale/trade for whatever you think is best for you. Everyone prefers certain things. A classic YMMV case here.
    But I do believe most shavers like the Muhle 2009 Head!

16. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself as "most shavers", but I DO love the Mühle 2009 head on my razors :D