Merkur Razor Level of Difficulty

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by qhsdoitall, Jul 31, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have an assortment of Merkur razors and this is the progression of difficulty for me. YMMV is always the case in something like this. For simplicity, it's the same whether I use a Derby or an Israeli Personna. Feather Blades are a different animal.

From easiest to hardest.

Merkur HD Classic --> Merkur HD Slant --> Merkur Open Comb --> Merkur Futur.

The HD Classic is my GO TO. When all else fails, I go to this razor for solace.
    The HD Slant is my workhorse. It will give me a really good shave day in and day out. Slightly more care is needed than an HD Classic.
    The Open Comb is my BBS razor. If I'm feeling confident enough about my technique I can 1 pass with clean up with this razor. Focus is needed for this razor or it will get you.
    The Futur is my best and worst razor. It will give me the closest good shave or the worst. My technique must be at the top of its game or this razor will tear me up. Not bleeders or weepers. I get those from any razor when I do something really careless. No, it's the wicked red patches and ingrown hairs that get left behind on my neck and chin. Much cooling and soothing is required with a day of using the HD Classic to recover. I do not do ATG with this razor.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I have 2

Slant: Great shaves as long as I dont go ATG
    Futur: Great shave as long as I dont crank it up past 4 and try to go ATG

of course,
    I still try for BBS with both these razors and pay the price more often than not.
    But hey ??!!
    Thats why God created AS and ASB products. :D

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Every now and then I take my Gold Slant for a short ride just so I don't loose touch. Great shaves every time.

Raf

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

My take:

From easiest to hardest

Merkur Progress --> Merkur HD Classic --> Merkur HD Slant --> Merkur Open Comb --> Merkur Futur

I gave the Progress the easiest spot because dialed all the way down this is a very tame beast and easy to master.

5. Rufus

Rufus New Member

IM not so humble O, the Progress is amongst the most highly overrrated razors I've come across. Where do you guys get off with this unrefined piece of under-engineered metal?

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

In the bathroom

7. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play? I've tried to get along with my Progress, but to no avail; it's unrefined, ugly and its mother dresses it funny. Other than my Gillette "New" open-comb, it gives me the worst shaves I've ever experienced and I've been shaving for +40 years.

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

heh.

Actually, I don't use any Merkur razors on a daily basis. I still stand by the fact that Progress is the easisest....for me....to use.