FS: NIB golden Gillette Aristocrat adjustable **COMPLETED**

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by moviemaniac, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

For sale (I'm selling it for a friend who is too busy to sell it on his own right now) is this little beauty, apparently never been used with the original box, original paper and original blades. The razor is absolutely flawless. Made in USA date-code J3.
    Asking price: 199 USD with worldwide shipping (priority, recorded delivery)

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

this is a sweetheart of an Aristocrat! A little out of my price range, though. Good luck!

3. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Yes it is a beauty but beyond my budget although I am looking for one of these or a toggle.::lam

4. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Retracted. I was mistaken, and apologize for any problems caused by me.

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

So what is your estimate of value Dr. assuming some use and noted flaws? :confused:

6. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

I would say $125-155 shipped depending on the details of the condition. I know I wasn't asked but that would be my estimate... That being said, there's one on the Bay right now starting at $200 with a $225 buy it now which is stone mint with all the fixings in this same presentation box. No bids yet though. The Bay isn't always the best place to guage the value. I would go with the senior members onf any of these forums as my estimate may be totally off? I hope the Dr has a diagnosis for us all! I'm in the market for an Aristocrat but if I spend $200 I want a British one... Good luck to buyer and seller!

7. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

I've noticed that posts which can be interpreted as "spam" get deleted by the Mods. I actually got a PM about it. I didn't know it was a rule but it makes sense. I do have a concern about comments being deleted regarding the price of items for sale. The community should be able to give feedback, positive and negative, regarding the price and condition of items for sale. This is encouraged on other sites as long as it's constructive and allows unaware buyers the ability to make well informed decisions, espeicially on higher priced items. It also gives sellers feedback to lower prices if maybe their asking price is a little high. I also see feedback that says "great deal" or "nice price" when an item is sold at a price that makes these gentleman sites different then, say, ebay. I wold hope that constructive pricing and condition comments would be left so that we can truly call our forum a gentleman's forum. I've read most of the deleted comments and feel they were honest, constructive, and helpful to "would be buyers" and don't think any of it was personal or defamatory. I would hope that the site management would take this into consideration and maybe give em some feedback on the situation. I'm just a guy that loves wet shaving and would like to be a part of a safe and fair gentleman's forum and I hope we can all make this that kind of place! Regards, Brian

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Our friend Klaus usually only checks in every couple of days, and the reason for some post deletions was that this thread had turned into a Q&A session asking about different razors.

The posts are still there, Klaus can see them and read them all, and when he logs back in I'm sure he will answer any and all questions, and return the relevant posts.

Until then, and to avoid further accusations, I'll close this thread while we await Klaus' return.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The posts in question were made in the middle of the night where I am located (Europe) and I didn't have time to access my computer (or, rather, The Shave Den) yesterday so I only just read the responses. Also I forgot to set the notification option on new replies so until this minute I thought nobody had answered the thread - sorry for the mixup!

I would've appreciated it if Dr. Mike had asked his questions in a private message rather than (more or less) accusing me of selling a non-mint razor as a mint one. I have always been a honest seller and I am this time too - especially as the razor in question is not mine and I'm simply doing a favor for a friend - I have nothing to gain by lying!

However I have nothing to hide so I am undeleting Dr. Mike's comment. We don't want to censor anything here but unjustly questioning the honesty of a seller in public is not something we want or tolerate on The Shave Den - whoever the seller may be!

What has been noted as "wear" from repeated opening and closing is just not there in the real razor. It might be the combination of lighting and a slight residue of oil that looks like non-existent mechanical wear on the picture. I just double- and triple-checked.
    There is also NO brassing whatsoever to be seen, this has to be a trick of the camera/lighting.
    I don't have a lightbox to take my picture in and it has been raining all week so taking pictures reflecting the mint condition of this razor is really, really hard for me right now. I do however stand by my word that this razor is in absolute pristine condition. If it has been shaven with then only once or twice with no visible signs of it as far as I can tell. That's - in all honesty - all I can say. I'd also take the razor back if it were not in the condition described here.

However as no one has mailed me about purchasing the razor until now and as the post by Dr. Mike might have done some damage in selling it I am dropping the price to 185 USD shipped worldwide.
    Also, when looking at the price you have to take into account the high shipping costs (recorded delivery!) from Austria as well as the EUR/USD conversion rate. You may also pay in EUR (€145 in that case) if that suits you better conversionrate-wise.

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

The value is whatever buyer and seller end up agreeing on. I've seen them go on the bay for as high as 300 USD and as low as 120 USD so 185 is right in the middle of what I've seen them go for.
    Everybody has a different take on value. One might find it's his birthyear razor and he'd be glad to pay the asking price, another one might already have three of the exact same kind and would only want to pay 90USD.
    That said, we usually don't allow price discussions in sale threads (read the rules for the classifieds section) but I am making an exception here. However this'll be the end of any price discussion here - any further posts regarding this matter will be deleted without notice.

11. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

Thanks Klaus and thanks Bill for the update and the information on the situation! You guys are doing a great job keeping things going here. Best, Brian

12. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

We appreciate all that Klaus and Bill do to keep this site fun and above board. I have been a member of B & B but have never been able to post anything because of some problem either on my end or theirs. Thanks, Doug

13. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

Hopefully we all learned something! lol I understand your feeling totally. Is this a relatively newer site? I've been on B&B but am new to both. They are almost identical format, though.

14. Batness

Batness New Member

That's beautiful, out of my range though. Hope someone nabs it, it's pretty. ;_;

15. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.