New razor suggestions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Donato, May 12, 2010.

1. Donato

Donato Member

Since my entry into DE shaving a few weeks ago, I have tried several combinations. Right now, this is what works for me:
    Merkur 23C with either a Gillette 7:O'clock Sharp Edge or Derby Extra
    Gillette Slim Adjustable set to 4 or 5 with the above blades.
    These razor/blade combo's still take about four passes because I have a touch beard. Based on this info, what would you recommend for a new razor?
    I have been thinking about a more aggressive razor like the Gillette Super Speed Red Tip or President, or even a Muhle R89.
    THanks!

2. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Just curious, what's your shave prep routine? Do you shave after a shower? Are you allowing adequate time for the lather to soften your beard before beginning? Any pre-shave oils?

I have a tough beard as well but with proper prep I can achieve a smooth 2-pass shave with even the mildest of razors. Of course practice makes perfect and good technique is encouraged.

However, if your heart is set on a new razor, any of your above choices IMO are a good bet.

3. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

1912 Gem Jr. with Personna SE blades from Walgreens. This combo will make the toughest beard on the planet sheer off like peach fuzz. I'd also recommend a glycerin preshave for a truly deluxe shave. I've got the Barney Rubble beard myself.

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Donato, you don't mention trying the Slim on a higher setting. I'm guessing you probably have done that, and just didn't mention it, but if not, that would be the first step.

1OldGI's comment about the Gem SE razor is right on the money, but if you do try an SE, be sure to ask here about technique, as you have to use a very different blade angle.

And let me put in a plug for Schick Injector razors. From my own experience, the G, I, L non-adjustables, and the type M adjustable, are all great, and make a DFS almost too easy. Again, different technique and blade angle required.

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Never used a single edge before. How does a gem differ from a injector other than blade shape? Is one more mild than the other?

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Blade angle is about the same when shaving. Aggressiveness varies between models on both, but the same range of aggressiveness is available with each type, I'd say. Injectors are easier to finagle into corners and tight spots because of the narrower head; Gems might require a bit more technique. You'll sometimes see where somebody thinks an injector makes things too easy; they want a challenge! Don't care about that myself.

With both, you can tear up your face if you get the blade angle way off or apply too much pressure, but once you get it right, they both give very close shaves.

7. Donato

Donato Member

I normally shave before I shower, but this routine is easily changed. I soak my face with hot water, and apply the shaving cream. Today I used TSD Blueberry and then rubbed the cream into my beard and let it set about three minutes. I washed it off and reapplied it and then used a Gillette Slim Adjustable set to 4 for the first three passes and 5 for the last pass.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

My first thought was you preparation, but for your description I don't think that's the problem. Crank up that adjustable if needed. I'm fine at 4, but that's a mild/moderate setting. Nothing wrong with using your adjustable at 6 or 7 (or even 9). If you're after a new, very aggressive razor, I'd go with a vintage Gillette NEW or NEW Standard.

9. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

I agree with both points made here, your prep seems fine and don't be afraid to crank up that slim!

10. shavejunkie

shavejunkie New Member

If you just have to buy a new razor, I urge you toward the Merkur 1904 comb. Yummmmm.