The $9.00 Shea Moisture Shave : Ultimate Shave Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Dridecker, May 16, 2010.

1. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

While perusing another shave forum, I happened across a thread about the "Shea Moisture Shave Brush", a seemingly low cost (the price in my area was $8.99), badger haired brush available at some Target stores.

So in the interest of this hobby of ours I picked a couple of them up, one to be PIF'ed off right away, and the other that I will use a couple of times, clean and then probably PIF away also.

Here we have a picture of the packaging:
    [​IMG]

Here it is next to a Semogue 1305 for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and did 4 test lathers, VDH Deluxe, Mitchell's Wool Fat using Leon's palm lathering technique, Godrej Lime, and finally TSD Wheat Cream. Here is an after picture to show the bloom.
    [​IMG]

Since I don't want to overload this thread with pictures, I have linked to a folder with pictures of the test lathers.

The brush had only a faint funky smell to begin with, and now it is completely gone. It lost about 6 hairs so far, but as this one is being sent away, it will be up to the new owner to keep us updated as to whether or not it is a shedder.

Unfortunately I do not have a Tweezerman badger brush to compare it to, so aside from the obvious difference of handle shape and material, that will have to be left to someone else.

Starting tomorrow I'll break out the other example I have, and use it for a week to see how it works with a combination of bowl and face lathering, and update this thread at that time.

Lyndon, Kevin and alpla444 like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

And the rules for the PIF? :D

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Must have fewer than 594 posts. :)

4. battle.munky

5. battle.munky

I got lost in the wheat snurdle, sorry. That SC looks like whipped heaven.

And the brush looks good too :D

6. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Sweet! That's a great looking little brush for < $10. Whoodathunk?

Thanks, Bill!

7. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I saw this on at Target on Saturday and was planning on asking if anyone had checked it out yet. Thanks for the info!

I wouldn't mind being in on the PIF.

8. DonR

DonR Active Member

Tried one this morning. It's a keeper for less than $10.00. However not all Targets carry them. I have 4 Targets between home and work, none of them stock this brush. Go the opposite direction, and there are 2 that are less than 15 miles that carry them. Best to do a search at the Target website by typing "Shave Brush". Then do a search for store, either by zip-code or city, state. It will show the stores that stock them and even list the isle #.

9. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I think I need one. Just for fun.. Since I live in Sweden its a bit far to any US shops.. Anyone to help?

10. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I was wondering

I was wondering about that brush. I saw it at target. I opened the box I did notice that the hair was firm and black. its pretty large. I got my dad a tweezerman brush. but this one from target looks better. please keep us posted on quality.

11. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Used the second brush I purchased today for a shave...

First impressions are a touch floppy and scritchy, not hugely so, but just a bit for both.

This one lost about 10 hairs during my VDH remove the slight funk lather, and none during my shave. It did a great job of whipping up the Palmolive menthol cream, which is what I was expecting.

Tomorrow I think I'll see how it handles on a tub of JoAnna's soap.

As far as the PIF goes gents, I guess I should have stated that the first brush was already spoken for.

12. DonR

DonR Active Member

I agree. Not nearly as stiff and scritchy as a VDH Boar. This appears to be a brush for both soaps and cream. Definitely stiff enough for soaps. I used VDH Deluxe this morning and the soap loaded up real nice. Only lost one hair at this time.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The brush worked very nicely with a tub of JoAnna's Monkey Farts soap today, the hardest glycerin soap I have.

Like yours, the brush lost one hair during the shave today.

Hmm... wonder what to throw at it next? :think002

14. battle.munky

My face!

alpla444 likes this.
  15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Bob, if you really want to try one, the Abingdon Target has them in stock, located in aisle B10. :cool:

alpla444 likes this.
  16. AxelH

AxelH New Member

Saw the 6 ounce tub of shave cream from the same brand next to it at a nearby SuperTarget. Six bucks to get in. It's doesn't advertise itself to be a good latherer, but it claims to help prevent ingrowns and irritation. Sells itself on an authentic African recipe/ingredients angle.

Anyone tried it?

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I haven't tried it, but from what I have read about it, I never plan to.

The only good thing I have read about it is that the scent is pleasant, but it won't lather.

18. beyboo

beyboo New Member

The handle is a nice shape !

I don't mind being in the PIF if it will be international too. I can pick up the shipping cost.

Also posting to test my post count !!

EDIT : Boo Hoo ! Not enough posts :(

19. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

This. I have a jar, and use it as a pre-shave in the shower. It doesn't lather at all, and I can't use it to actually shave, but it does a pretty decent job at softening my whiskers if I use it in the shower.

20. AxelH

AxelH New Member

That's sad, if it isn't a good enough shave cream. From the list of other products on the shave cream's box it seems they sell a "beard lifter" and a "beard softener" as separate products. What are you using to shave with when you tried this stuff, Baloosh?

Dridecker: do you have reservations about using non-lathering creams? I have enjoyed my shaves from Avalon Organics peppermint non-lathering shave cream (the product looks retarded because on the tube it's labeled "cream shave"). It works well and the glide lasts after a quick rinse between passes. Also, I figure it is an all-in-one product because I haven't felt the need for a moisturizer, or even an after-shave. The few times I've used after-shave with it was purely for superficial reasons. Adequate rinsing left it nice and moisturized. I have some Anthony Logistics for Men, unscented, that also has a peppermint scent just by inclusion of the herb, which also performs admirably and doesn't lather (can't remember putting it through the str8-edge test, though).